Manny Machado’s five-game suspension upheld on appeal

Jun 30, 2014, 12:31 PM EST

It seemed like five games for Manny Machado throwing a bat at a dude was a bit light. He appealed anyway. Major League Baseball wasn’t budging:

His hearing was last week. It apparently took two hours. I have no idea how one can argue about a bat being thrown for two hours, but there we are.

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

“I have no idea how one can argue about a bat being thrown for two hours”

He tried to introduce evidence of a second bat thrower on the grassy knoll

• joeflaccosunibrow - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Or the bat throwing was an inside job by the Bush Administration…

• sportsfan18 - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:04 PM

uh, that would be the O’Bummer administration…

• DJ MC - Jun 30, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Luke Scott isn’t on the team anymore, sportsfan18.

In fact, he isn’t even in the country anymore. So at least he’s good as his word.

• culturecesspool - Jun 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM

O-blah-blah and bush did it.

2. hep3 - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Shouldn’t Machado and really all suspensions have to be served against the team that the player committed the infraction against? Especially with pitchers. If a starting pitchers gets a four game suspension for head hunting, the suspension should be missing four starts against the team the pitcher “injured.”

If the Orioles don’t play Oakland again this year, shouldn’t Machado’s suspension be held over until whenever they play?

• hcf95688 - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:55 PM

No. Its gonna be fun when the O’s come to Oakland in a couple weeks.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:32 PM

They’ve thrown at him. Twice. It’s over. Anymore and it’s Oakland that should be getting the long suspension.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:58 PM

What if he changes teams?

• sportsfan18 - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Then whoever was involved from the O’s in his changing teams needs to be committed…

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I don’t mean Machado specifically.

I mean if any suspended player no longer plays for the team when the two teams play each other again.

• daveitsgood - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM

This was meant to be facetious, right?

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM

He just started hitting too.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM

gotta be able to do the time if you’re gonna do the crime…

he’s a GREAT young player…

he made a mistake…

would have loved to see him OWN up to it though…

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Never said he shouldn’t get the punishment. Just sucks it comes as he just started hitting as opposed to when he was hitting .230 not too long ago.

4. hcf95688 - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM

They should have added a couple games for wasting everyones time with this appeal + maybe another one for being a dusche.

• nvl004 - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:09 PM

the union wants everyone to appeal

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Unless your name is Alex Rodriguez…

• baberuthslegs - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:46 PM

You are suspended one day for not knowing how to spell “douche”.

5. tfbuckfutter - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I like when guys appeal a suspension that probably should have been longer to begin with.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I recall once getting a HS report card and getting a D in one class. I went to the teacher, Report Card in hand, and before I said a word he blurted out “You gotta be kidding. You aren’t here to complain about your grade, are you?” He then laid out how I wasn’t even close to getting a D, he just didn’t feel like giving me a F.

Sumpitn’ tells me that is more or less how Machado’s appeal went

6. joeflaccosunibrow - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I bleed Orange and Black, and I agree with the suspension. It was a $itch move on his behalf.

My heart aches because his bat was on fire lately!

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM

You maybe should see a doctor.

You seem to have a few ailments that may need attention.

• historiophiliac - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:30 PM

What’s a “sitch move”?

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Situational move.

Like if 1st base is open you throw your bat at the pitcher.

7. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Between this and winning the Alex Rodriguez case MLB has to be feeling pretty good about themselves now. I wonder how worried the union is getting. They’re losing power slowly but surely and once it’s gone have no doubts MLB will take advantage.

8. blacksables - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM

How are those two issues even remotely similar?

9. sophiethegreatdane - Jun 30, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I’m on vacation and therefore suspending myself from watching the Orioles for the next week-to-ten days, because they are playing like dick bags (credit: Craig Calcaterra).

I will not appeal.