The final American League All-Star voting update before the team is set

Jun 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT

The All-Star teams will be announced on Sunday, so this is the last time MLB officially updates the voting. And it’ll be the last time I officially see Jose Altuve in fourth place of a competition that, if it were based on merit instead of name recognition and the size of fan bases, he’d be winning.

Really, I can see arguments that Robinson Cano or Ian Kinsler are the better choices. Their numbers aren’t all that different than Altuve’s generally speaking. But Dustin Pedroia? Bah. He’s having his worst season as a major leaguer.  I still go with the notion that it’s cool for fans to go with the stars over the guys merely having good half-seasons, but Altuve is not some one-year wonder and, if there were justice in the cosmos, he’d be a star already.

Oh well. It’s just the All-Star game. I probably shouldn’t get worked up about it. I told myself I wouldn’t.

source:  source:

source:

source:

source:

1. heyyouwhatdoyouthinkyouredoingthere - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Oh man, looks like Derek Norris is going to get the nod. Congrats!

• sandpiperair - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:32 PM

It doesn’t work that way, does it?

• heyyouwhatdoyouthinkyouredoingthere - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM

It should to my knowledge with Wieters out for the season.

• sandpiperair - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM

I’m pretty sure that an injury replacement is chosen. It doesn’t just go to the second place guy.

• scatterbrian - Jun 30, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I don’t believe the second place guy automatically slides into the starter’s role.

I do believe, however, that the players will elect Norris.

2. facebookuser111 - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Kyle Seager should be somewhere in that third base mix.

3. randomjoeblow - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Obviously players shouldn’t go to Kansas City with the expectation of ever getting voted to the All-Star game. Salvador Perez isn’t one of the top 5 catchers? Alex Gordon?

4. johnnysoda - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I really hope no one has voted for Matt Wieters in the last few days.

• mikhelb - Jun 30, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Jun 8th update:
      Wieters 1’235,369 votes

June 9th
      Wieters programmed a visit with medic Andrews, has not played since may 10th.

June 16th (next day Wieters had surgery)
      Wieters 1’488,884 votes

June 23rd
      Wieters 1’852,770

June 30th
      Wieters 2’103,385

Wieters has amassed about 2 million votes while playing zero games.

• scatterbrian - Jun 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM

This is what happens when teams petition the fans to blindly vote for the hometown players.

Actually, this is what happens when teams reward fans who blindly vote for the hometown players.

5. drewzducks - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Looks like they finally got the 3rd OF right. For now.

6. mikhelb - Jun 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM

It looks like the “final vote” will include Altuve, Encarnación and David Ortíz (if you do not include him, he will file a protest and whine all week).

• scatterbrian - Jun 30, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I think Altuve and Encarnación will most likely be selected by the players, or Farrell.

Final vote guys will be dudes like Dozier and Moss.

7. daveitsgood - Jun 30, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I would like to use this as a PSA to mention that Daric Barton is listed as the 1B for the A’s on the Ballot… Daric.Barton.

• scatterbrian - Jun 30, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I think this horse has been beaten to death already.

8. scatterbrian - Jun 30, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Altuve had a killer June: .424./.455/.511 and 16 steals.

But on June 1st, when he was hitting .318/.360/.430, he wasn’t the clear cut choice.

9. gerard33 - Jun 30, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Yeah, Pierzynski is better than Sal Perez, ok! I though baseball fans were supposed to be a little smarter than that.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3352)