Jun 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The All-Star teams will be announced on Sunday, so this is the last time MLB officially updates the voting. And it’ll be the last time I officially see Jose Altuve in fourth place of a competition that, if it were based on merit instead of name recognition and the size of fan bases, he’d be winning.
Really, I can see arguments that Robinson Cano or Ian Kinsler are the better choices. Their numbers aren’t all that different than Altuve’s generally speaking. But Dustin Pedroia? Bah. He’s having his worst season as a major leaguer. I still go with the notion that it’s cool for fans to go with the stars over the guys merely having good half-seasons, but Altuve is not some one-year wonder and, if there were justice in the cosmos, he’d be a star already.
Oh well. It’s just the All-Star game. I probably shouldn’t get worked up about it. I told myself I wouldn’t.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)