Jun 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The All-Star teams will be announced on Sunday, so this is the last time MLB officially updates the voting. And it’ll be the last time I officially see Jose Altuve in fourth place of a competition that, if it were based on merit instead of name recognition and the size of fan bases, he’d be winning.
Really, I can see arguments that Robinson Cano or Ian Kinsler are the better choices. Their numbers aren’t all that different than Altuve’s generally speaking. But Dustin Pedroia? Bah. He’s having his worst season as a major leaguer. I still go with the notion that it’s cool for fans to go with the stars over the guys merely having good half-seasons, but Altuve is not some one-year wonder and, if there were justice in the cosmos, he’d be a star already.
Oh well. It’s just the All-Star game. I probably shouldn’t get worked up about it. I told myself I wouldn’t.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)