Jun 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The All-Star teams will be announced on Sunday, so this is the last time MLB officially updates the voting. And it’ll be the last time I officially see Jose Altuve in fourth place of a competition that, if it were based on merit instead of name recognition and the size of fan bases, he’d be winning.
Really, I can see arguments that Robinson Cano or Ian Kinsler are the better choices. Their numbers aren’t all that different than Altuve’s generally speaking. But Dustin Pedroia? Bah. He’s having his worst season as a major leaguer. I still go with the notion that it’s cool for fans to go with the stars over the guys merely having good half-seasons, but Altuve is not some one-year wonder and, if there were justice in the cosmos, he’d be a star already.
Oh well. It’s just the All-Star game. I probably shouldn’t get worked up about it. I told myself I wouldn’t.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20