Jun 30, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
That was pretty rare. Indeed, the Cubs haven’t had a scheduled Sunday off since Herbert Hoover was president. The Nationals/Expos have never had a scheduled Sunday off as far as I can tell. Yet that’s what they did this weekend, playing two on Saturday and taking yesterday off to chill out.
The reason: Chicago’s concern over neighborhood traffic due to the city’s annual Pride Parade in Wrigleyville yesterday. Makes sense, especially at a time where the team and its neighbors and the city are all in a messy fight about the future of the ballpark and its renovations and things. No sense in making things more chaotic when they don’t have to be.
Based on some of the player and executive comments, the day off on Sunday was pretty darn popular. No one likes doubleheaders all that much anymore, but you have to wonder if some occasional Sundays off — say, one at home a season for each team — wouldn’t be about the easiest bone for owners to throw to players the next time the CBA is negotiated. Given how precious they consider the couple of days off they get for the All-Star break you’d have to think that one extra weekend day off at home would be considered pretty darn valuable too.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)