That’s unusual: The Nationals and Cubs had a scheduled day off yesterday

Jun 30, 2014, 9:16 AM EST

Gone fishin sign

That was pretty rare. Indeed, the Cubs haven’t had a scheduled Sunday off since Herbert Hoover was president. The Nationals/Expos have never had a scheduled Sunday off as far as I can tell. Yet that’s what they did this weekend, playing two on Saturday and taking yesterday off to chill out.

The reason: Chicago’s concern over neighborhood traffic due to the city’s annual Pride Parade in Wrigleyville yesterday. Makes sense, especially at a time where the team and its neighbors and the city are all in a messy fight about the future of the ballpark and its renovations and things. No sense in making things more chaotic when they don’t have to be.

Based on some of the player and executive comments, the day off on Sunday was pretty darn popular. No one likes doubleheaders all that much anymore, but you have to wonder if some occasional Sundays off — say, one at home a season for each team — wouldn’t be about the easiest bone for owners to throw to players the next time the CBA is negotiated. Given how precious they consider the couple of days off they get for the All-Star break you’d have to think that one extra weekend day off at home would be considered pretty darn valuable too.

1. voteforno6 - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:20 AM

It’s a nice thought, but I don’t see MLB giving up any of its weekend games – those probably have the highest attendance.

• natstowngreg - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Yeah. I suppose playing two on Saturday could make up for some of the loss. Though it would have to be a day-nighter, of course. Can’t give fans two games for the price of one.

2. mybrunoblog - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Gay pride causes baseball scheduling rarity. That’s something you don’t see every day.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Raven pride – take a hike

Gay pride – glad to help

Who’d a thunk it? :)

• zzalapski - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I’m guessing the Pride organizers actually worked with the Cubs and Nationals in a collaborative manner, rather than bullying into the situation with a sense of entitlement.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM

You know…I usually don’t give a hoot about thumbs up or down….and typically feel I am right if I get lot of thumbs down. But in this case….

To the 24 and counting who didn’t like this comment, you do realize I am speaking in FAVOR of the Gay pride one, right? 24 of you were against that?

• jwbiii - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM

zzalapski, Spot on. The local alderman is openly gay, and has been the Grand Marshall of the parade in the past. The Cubs are very interested in supporting him on small issues, like the Pride Parade, so that he may not be as opposed to them on the larger issue, the proposed Wrigley renovations.

3. tfilarski - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Would be nice to see each team play one scheduled double header a month and not start games so early in April or late March.

• tcostant - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

You know I always see comments like this saying there should be scheduled double headers. Just forget it. I when to a few in my youth, but that was when games went 2 to 2 1/2 each, but today that would would be a half day at the ballpark if you got there about an hour before first pitch and the the delay between games. No thanks!

• tfilarski - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I would imagine they would be scheduled day-night double headers with separate tickets opposed to the double headers where you stay in the park. Can’t imagine anyone buying tickets to both games.

• sportsdrenched - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Yeah, a whole day at an MLB yard watching 18 innings of baseball, during the summer months? It would probably be hot and I’d have to drink a bunch of beer to stay hydrated. Man, that would just suck. I can’t imagine doing something like that.

• zzalapski - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM

If you have nothing else pressing on a weekend, what’s wrong with spending a half day at the ballpark? It’d be like setting aside time to prepare for and attending a wedding, except that you wouldn’t have to care as much about what you look like or what you’re bringing to the occasion.

• NatsLady - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Well, you said this before, so I’ll say again. I was at the double header and I had an absolute BLAST! Everyone was very nice to Nats fans, of which there were many, since a lot of people (including me) had all day Sunday to get home. I never sat in the bleachers (thank goodness).

Attendance was good at both games, though apparently Saturday night games are not the hit they are in DC where it’s “date night” and they charge premium prices.

Between games I took pictures of the Ernie Banks statue, chatted with other Nats fans and had ice cream at McDonald’s. They also have (and apparently this is also controversial) remote parking on weekends, which is free and there is a free shuttle. Not on Friday afternoons, though. It’s $25 to park in someone’s garage.

• clydeserra - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM

oakland had a traditional scheduled DH in 2012 (i think). and another one this year after a rainout.

It was tons of fun. but they ran out of food in the second game. It didn’t seem too long but I was with friends fro game one and family for game 2, so there was diversity of company, which didn’t hurt

4. rickrenteria - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I was at Wrigley in the RF Bleacher for the DH on Saturday and saw some of the most vile stuff come out of Cubs’ fans mouths directed at Jayson Werth as I’ve seen since pre-’84. I’m nobody’s prude but this was uncalled for at any ballpark, much less any public space. Without naming specific names, and boy could I, it is a VERY good thing this group of fans wasn’t released into the Pride Parade aftermath which would have happened in previous years. I was ashamed of my fellow Cubs fans.

• NatsLady - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Other than Philly, what is it about Werth that inspires vitriol? He’s been great for the Nats.

5. bigcat2330 - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:20 PM

How about they stop complaining about days off. Most are being paid millions to play a kids game.

• wonkypenguin - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM

No one was complaining. Do you even like baseball?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5812)
  2. M. Kemp (3249)
  3. J. Kang (3202)
  4. C. McGehee (3083)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3052)
  1. J. Upton (2988)