Jun 30, 2014, 11:48 PM EST
Sean Doolittle has been mostly untouchable this season, but he has suddenly blown back-to-back save chances for the Athletics. And this latest one resulted in a dramatic victory for the Tigers.
Doolittle was handed a 4-1 lead going into the bottom of the ninth inning tonight, but he gave up back-to-back singles to get into some quick trouble. He bounced back to strike out Eugenio Suarez swinging, but then walked Austin Jackson to load the bases. This is notable, as Doolittle had walked just one batter in 39 innings this season coming into Monday’s action.
That rare walk from Doolittle came back to bite the Athletics in a big way, as Davis followed with a walk-off grand slam to give the Tigers a 5-4 victory. Check out the video below:
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Davis and Alan Trammell (1988) are the only players in Tigers history to hit a walk-off grand slam while trailing by three runs. Appropriately enough, Trammell was on hand for tonight’s game, as the Tigers were honoring the 30th anniversary of the 1984 World Series champions.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (252)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)