Jul 1, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Angel Pagan had been hoping to be activated from the disabled list on Tuesday for the Giants’ series opener against the visiting Cardinals, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the center fielder experienced a setback involving the bulging disc in his lower back Monday while running.
Pagan will visit back specialist Dr. Robert Watkins on Wednesday afternoon in Los Angeles for an exact diagnosis and recommendation on treatment. Pagan expects to avoid season-ending surgery, but his recovery timetable at this point is very much up in the air.
The bulging disc is pinching his sciatica nerve and causing shooting pain down his leg.
Pagan was hitting .307/.356/.411 with 37 runs scored in 63 games this season before the injury.
Juan Perez is starting in center field and batting leadoff on Tuesday night versus St. Louis.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)