Jul 1, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Angel Pagan had been hoping to be activated from the disabled list on Tuesday for the Giants’ series opener against the visiting Cardinals, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the center fielder experienced a setback involving the bulging disc in his lower back Monday while running.
Pagan will visit back specialist Dr. Robert Watkins on Wednesday afternoon in Los Angeles for an exact diagnosis and recommendation on treatment. Pagan expects to avoid season-ending surgery, but his recovery timetable at this point is very much up in the air.
The bulging disc is pinching his sciatica nerve and causing shooting pain down his leg.
Pagan was hitting .307/.356/.411 with 37 runs scored in 63 games this season before the injury.
Juan Perez is starting in center field and batting leadoff on Tuesday night versus St. Louis.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 33
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)