Jul 1, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Brian McCann has been one of the biggest free agent busts of the offseason so far, hitting just .221 with a .642 OPS in 74 games for the Yankees after seven-time All-Star catcher hit .277 with an .823 OPS in nine seasons for the Braves.
To his credit McCann hasn’t pulled any punches in assessing his own performance in the first season of a five-year, $85 million contract, telling Brendan Kuty of the Newark Star Ledger:
Horrible. Hitting–you know, I feel good behind the plate. But swinging the bat, I need to get better. We’ve just got to keep grinding. I’ve got faith in myself and I think we’ll swing the bats better.
McCann hit poorly in April and May, but June was his worst month with a .198 batting average and .580 OPS.
No one should have expected McCann to collapse so suddenly at age 30, especially since he was one of the better-hitting catchers in baseball last season in Atlanta, but back in November our own Matthew Pouliot did break down why McCann was a poor bet to age well into his thirties and our own Bill Baer analyzed why calling Yankee Stadium home wasn’t going to boost McCann’s power numbers quite as much as many people expected.
Of course, the Yankees talked about how they signed McCann for his Thurman Munson-like intensity behind the plate and … well, that hasn’t changed any (and he’s thrown out a career-high 45 percent of steal attempts, at least). And now they owe him $17 million per season through 2018.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 8
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)