Jul 1, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
From beat writer Todd Zolecki of MLB.com …
Cliff Lee continues to recover from his strained left elbow, taking another step forward today at Marlins Park.
He threw 60 pitches in a three-inning simulated game.
“We’re on pace,” Lee said.
The veteran southpaw is hoping that his next step is going to be a minor league rehab start. A decision on that will not be made until Lee is reevaluated by team doctors on Wednesday morning. “I’ve been feeling better every day,” he said Tuesday.
Lee had a 3.18 ERA and 61/9 K/BB ratio in 68 innings before injuring his left elbow in May. If he makes it back before the July 31 trade deadline and proves his health, he’ll be a big target for contending teams.
UPDATE, 6:25 p.m. ET: A followup from CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury …
If Cliff Lee feels good tomorrow he will pitch at CLW in minor lg game Sunday, GM Amaro said
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) July 1, 2014
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)