Jul 1, 2014, 6:22 PM EST
From beat writer Todd Zolecki of MLB.com …
Cliff Lee continues to recover from his strained left elbow, taking another step forward today at Marlins Park.
He threw 60 pitches in a three-inning simulated game.
“We’re on pace,” Lee said.
The veteran southpaw is hoping that his next step is going to be a minor league rehab start. A decision on that will not be made until Lee is reevaluated by team doctors on Wednesday morning. “I’ve been feeling better every day,” he said Tuesday.
Lee had a 3.18 ERA and 61/9 K/BB ratio in 68 innings before injuring his left elbow in May. If he makes it back before the July 31 trade deadline and proves his health, he’ll be a big target for contending teams.
UPDATE, 6:25 p.m. ET: A followup from CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury …
If Cliff Lee feels good tomorrow he will pitch at CLW in minor lg game Sunday, GM Amaro said
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) July 1, 2014
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)