Jul 1, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
From beat writer Todd Zolecki of MLB.com …
Cliff Lee continues to recover from his strained left elbow, taking another step forward today at Marlins Park.
He threw 60 pitches in a three-inning simulated game.
“We’re on pace,” Lee said.
The veteran southpaw is hoping that his next step is going to be a minor league rehab start. A decision on that will not be made until Lee is reevaluated by team doctors on Wednesday morning. “I’ve been feeling better every day,” he said Tuesday.
Lee had a 3.18 ERA and 61/9 K/BB ratio in 68 innings before injuring his left elbow in May. If he makes it back before the July 31 trade deadline and proves his health, he’ll be a big target for contending teams.
UPDATE, 6:25 p.m. ET: A followup from CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury …
If Cliff Lee feels good tomorrow he will pitch at CLW in minor lg game Sunday, GM Amaro said
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) July 1, 2014
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)