Jul 1, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Paxton has been on the disabled list since early April with a shoulder injury, getting shut down multiple times due to setbacks in his recovery, but Greg Johns of MLB.com reports that the 25-year-old left-hander threw a 35-pitch bullpen session Monday without any problems.
If all goes well he could be cleared for a simulated game next week, at which point the Mariners would start planning out a minor-league rehab assignment.
Paxton’s career got off to a great start, as he went 5-0 with a 1.75 ERA through six outings dating back to last season, and if the Mariners can ever get a healthy Walker and a healthy Paxton into the rotation alongside Felix Hernandez and Hisashi Iwakuma they’d be capable of making a big push in the second half.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)