Jul 1, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger comes word that Twins first baseman Joe Mauer made an early exit from Tuesday night’s game against the Royals after suffering a strained left oblique muscle. Most oblique strains need 2-3 weeks of rest and rehab, so Mauer is presumably headed to the 15-day disabled list.
Mauer hit a two-run double in the bottom of the fourth inning Tuesday versus Kansas City, but he is still batting just .271 with a .695 OPS in 76 games this season. The 31-year-old entered 2014 — his first season since moving permanently away from catcher — with a .323 career average and .873 career OPS.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)