Jul 1, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Out of the starting lineup since June 22 with a hamstring injury, Jose Bautista is starting at designated hitter for the Blue Jays this afternoon against the Brewers.
Bautista appeared as a pinch-hitter Sunday, but manager John Gibbons still wants to play it a little safe by keeping him out of right field for at least one more day. That means usual designated hitter Adam Lind will sit versus Marco Estrada despite batting .378 off right-handed pitchers this season.
Bautista is leading the American League in All-Star votes with nearly five million and also leads the league in walks and on-base percentage while hitting .304 with 15 homers and a .956 OPS in 78 games.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (239)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)