Jul 1, 2014, 8:23 AM EST
When Crash hit his 247th home run, I knew the moment it happened. But I’m sure nobody else did. And The Sporting News didn’t say a word about it. “Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, And waste its sweetness on the desert air.” Thomas Gray. Or William Cullen Bryant. I don’t know, I get them mixed up.
Mike Hessman homered in the third inning in the Toledo Mud Hens-Indianapolis Indians game last night. It was his 259th in International League play. That broke the league record, which had stood of 69 years.
Overall, Hessman has 404 home runs in 1,929 minor league games. He has 14 homers in 109 games the majors. Maybe he dreamed, when he was a younger man, that those totals were flipped. Who wouldn’t? But no matter where life takes him when he’s done with baseball, he’s going to have something to talk about and something to remember. Something about which he should be proud and people should be impressed, no matter where it happened.
Congratulations, Mike Hessman.
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 0
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)