Jul 1, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
When Crash hit his 247th home run, I knew the moment it happened. But I’m sure nobody else did. And The Sporting News didn’t say a word about it. “Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, And waste its sweetness on the desert air.” Thomas Gray. Or William Cullen Bryant. I don’t know, I get them mixed up.
Mike Hessman homered in the third inning in the Toledo Mud Hens-Indianapolis Indians game last night. It was his 259th in International League play. That broke the league record, which had stood of 69 years.
Overall, Hessman has 404 home runs in 1,929 minor league games. He has 14 homers in 109 games the majors. Maybe he dreamed, when he was a younger man, that those totals were flipped. Who wouldn’t? But no matter where life takes him when he’s done with baseball, he’s going to have something to talk about and something to remember. Something about which he should be proud and people should be impressed, no matter where it happened.
Congratulations, Mike Hessman.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)