Jul 1, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
When Crash hit his 247th home run, I knew the moment it happened. But I’m sure nobody else did. And The Sporting News didn’t say a word about it. “Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, And waste its sweetness on the desert air.” Thomas Gray. Or William Cullen Bryant. I don’t know, I get them mixed up.
Mike Hessman homered in the third inning in the Toledo Mud Hens-Indianapolis Indians game last night. It was his 259th in International League play. That broke the league record, which had stood of 69 years.
Overall, Hessman has 404 home runs in 1,929 minor league games. He has 14 homers in 109 games the majors. Maybe he dreamed, when he was a younger man, that those totals were flipped. Who wouldn’t? But no matter where life takes him when he’s done with baseball, he’s going to have something to talk about and something to remember. Something about which he should be proud and people should be impressed, no matter where it happened.
Congratulations, Mike Hessman.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)