Jul 1, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
When Crash hit his 247th home run, I knew the moment it happened. But I’m sure nobody else did. And The Sporting News didn’t say a word about it. “Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, And waste its sweetness on the desert air.” Thomas Gray. Or William Cullen Bryant. I don’t know, I get them mixed up.
Mike Hessman homered in the third inning in the Toledo Mud Hens-Indianapolis Indians game last night. It was his 259th in International League play. That broke the league record, which had stood of 69 years.
Overall, Hessman has 404 home runs in 1,929 minor league games. He has 14 homers in 109 games the majors. Maybe he dreamed, when he was a younger man, that those totals were flipped. Who wouldn’t? But no matter where life takes him when he’s done with baseball, he’s going to have something to talk about and something to remember. Something about which he should be proud and people should be impressed, no matter where it happened.
Congratulations, Mike Hessman.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)