Jul 1, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Thank goodness for extra innings in last night’s Yankees-Rays game. Because if it wasn’t for extras, the Rays wouldn’t have set a record.
Rays reliever Brad Boxberger struck out Ichiro Suzuki in the 12th inning. In doing so, he notched the Rays’287th strikeout in the month of June. That stands as the most ever by one team in any month in Major League history. The Chicago Cubs had the record previously, with 286 in August 2002.
The Rays lead all of baseball with 744 in 85 games.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (279)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)