Jul 1, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez had to be scratched from Monday’s series opener against the Athletics due to soreness in his back and side and he is also sitting out on Tuesday night in Detroit.
Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said Monday that Martinez “didn’t want to come out” of the lineup and that the reason he was scratched was because “we can’t lose Vic for an extended period.” So these back-to-back absences could be precautionary.
Martinez has enjoyed a sudden career resurgence this season at the age of 35, batting .323/.384/.589 with 20 home runs and 52 RBI in 78 games. He hit .301/.355/.430 in 159 games last year. J.D. Martinez is at cleanup for the Tigers on Tuesday.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 2
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (80)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)