Jul 1, 2014, 7:43 PM EST
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez had to be scratched from Monday’s series opener against the Athletics due to soreness in his back and side and he is also sitting out on Tuesday night in Detroit.
Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said Monday that Martinez “didn’t want to come out” of the lineup and that the reason he was scratched was because “we can’t lose Vic for an extended period.” So these back-to-back absences could be precautionary.
Martinez has enjoyed a sudden career resurgence this season at the age of 35, batting .323/.384/.589 with 20 home runs and 52 RBI in 78 games. He hit .301/.355/.430 in 159 games last year. J.D. Martinez is at cleanup for the Tigers on Tuesday.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 4
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)