Jul 1, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez had to be scratched from Monday’s series opener against the Athletics due to soreness in his back and side and he is also sitting out on Tuesday night in Detroit.
Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said Monday that Martinez “didn’t want to come out” of the lineup and that the reason he was scratched was because “we can’t lose Vic for an extended period.” So these back-to-back absences could be precautionary.
Martinez has enjoyed a sudden career resurgence this season at the age of 35, batting .323/.384/.589 with 20 home runs and 52 RBI in 78 games. He hit .301/.355/.430 in 159 games last year. J.D. Martinez is at cleanup for the Tigers on Tuesday.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)