Jul 1, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez had to be scratched from Monday’s series opener against the Athletics due to soreness in his back and side and he is also sitting out on Tuesday night in Detroit.
Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said Monday that Martinez “didn’t want to come out” of the lineup and that the reason he was scratched was because “we can’t lose Vic for an extended period.” So these back-to-back absences could be precautionary.
Martinez has enjoyed a sudden career resurgence this season at the age of 35, batting .323/.384/.589 with 20 home runs and 52 RBI in 78 games. He hit .301/.355/.430 in 159 games last year. J.D. Martinez is at cleanup for the Tigers on Tuesday.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)