Jul 2, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
Toronto had a pair of first-round draft picks this year thanks to failing to sign last year’s first-rounder and they’ve agreed to deals with both of them.
No. 9 overall pick, right-hander Jeff Hoffman, and No. 11 overall pick, catcher Max Pentecost, have reportedly agreed to the slot-recommended signing bonuses of $3.1 million and $2.9 million respectively.
Hoffman slipped in the draft following Tommy John elbow surgery, which also likely played a part in his accepting a slot signing bonus. He’ll miss all of this season and perhaps the early part of next year as well while recovering from the mid-May operation. He was in the mix to be a top-three pick before the injury.
Pentecost won the Johnny Bench Award as the country’s top college catcher, putting up incredible offensive numbers at Kennesaw State. He has the potential to move pretty quickly through the Blue Jays’ farm system.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)