Jul 2, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
Toronto had a pair of first-round draft picks this year thanks to failing to sign last year’s first-rounder and they’ve agreed to deals with both of them.
No. 9 overall pick, right-hander Jeff Hoffman, and No. 11 overall pick, catcher Max Pentecost, have reportedly agreed to the slot-recommended signing bonuses of $3.1 million and $2.9 million respectively.
Hoffman slipped in the draft following Tommy John elbow surgery, which also likely played a part in his accepting a slot signing bonus. He’ll miss all of this season and perhaps the early part of next year as well while recovering from the mid-May operation. He was in the mix to be a top-three pick before the injury.
Pentecost won the Johnny Bench Award as the country’s top college catcher, putting up incredible offensive numbers at Kennesaw State. He has the potential to move pretty quickly through the Blue Jays’ farm system.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 17
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 17
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 15
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)