Jul 2, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Giants skipper Bruce Bochy told beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday that first baseman Brandon Belt is on track to be activated from the disabled list for Friday night’s series opener against the Padres at Petco Park.
Belt has been out since May 10 with a fractured left thumb. He is 11-for-21 (.524) with three home runs so far on his rehab assignment and was sporting an .820 OPS (133 OPS+) with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 35 games before suffering the thumb injury.
The 26-year-old should provide a nice boost for the Giants, who have watched their lead in the National League West disintegrate over the past several weeks. The Dodgers are currently one game back.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)