Jul 2, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Giants skipper Bruce Bochy told beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday that first baseman Brandon Belt is on track to be activated from the disabled list for Friday night’s series opener against the Padres at Petco Park.
Belt has been out since May 10 with a fractured left thumb. He is 11-for-21 (.524) with three home runs so far on his rehab assignment and was sporting an .820 OPS (133 OPS+) with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 35 games before suffering the thumb injury.
The 26-year-old should provide a nice boost for the Giants, who have watched their lead in the National League West disintegrate over the past several weeks. The Dodgers are currently one game back.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (294)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)