Jul 2, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Giants skipper Bruce Bochy told beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday that first baseman Brandon Belt is on track to be activated from the disabled list for Friday night’s series opener against the Padres at Petco Park.
Belt has been out since May 10 with a fractured left thumb. He is 11-for-21 (.524) with three home runs so far on his rehab assignment and was sporting an .820 OPS (133 OPS+) with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 35 games before suffering the thumb injury.
The 26-year-old should provide a nice boost for the Giants, who have watched their lead in the National League West disintegrate over the past several weeks. The Dodgers are currently one game back.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)