Jul 2, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports has the story …
Kim Ng, MLB’s senior VP for baseball operations, is under consideration for the vacant Padres general manager job, people familiar with the search say.
Ng, the former assistant GM with the Dodgers and Yankees, would be looking to become the first female GM in any sport if her potential candidacy progresses.
Ng was interviewed for the Padres’ GM job in 2009 but the club decided to go with Jed Hoyer, who is now in that position with the Cubs. She has also been in the running for GM openings with the Dodgers and Mariners.
The Padres fired GM Josh Byrnes on June 22 after going 184-215 in two-plus years under his watch.
Via Heyman, the current list of candidates to take over Byrnes’ post includes Diamondbacks scouting director Ray Montgomery, Dodgers scouting director Logan White, former Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest, Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler, Rangers assistant GM A.J. Preller, Red Sox assistant GM Mike Hazen, and Padres’ current assistant general manager A.J. Hinch. Now we can add Ng to that group.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)