Jul 2, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports has the story …
Kim Ng, MLB’s senior VP for baseball operations, is under consideration for the vacant Padres general manager job, people familiar with the search say.
Ng, the former assistant GM with the Dodgers and Yankees, would be looking to become the first female GM in any sport if her potential candidacy progresses.
Ng was interviewed for the Padres’ GM job in 2009 but the club decided to go with Jed Hoyer, who is now in that position with the Cubs. She has also been in the running for GM openings with the Dodgers and Mariners.
The Padres fired GM Josh Byrnes on June 22 after going 184-215 in two-plus years under his watch.
Via Heyman, the current list of candidates to take over Byrnes’ post includes Diamondbacks scouting director Ray Montgomery, Dodgers scouting director Logan White, former Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest, Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler, Rangers assistant GM A.J. Preller, Red Sox assistant GM Mike Hazen, and Padres’ current assistant general manager A.J. Hinch. Now we can add Ng to that group.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 5
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 54
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 23
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 24
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (92)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)