Jul 2, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports has the story …
Kim Ng, MLB’s senior VP for baseball operations, is under consideration for the vacant Padres general manager job, people familiar with the search say.
Ng, the former assistant GM with the Dodgers and Yankees, would be looking to become the first female GM in any sport if her potential candidacy progresses.
Ng was interviewed for the Padres’ GM job in 2009 but the club decided to go with Jed Hoyer, who is now in that position with the Cubs. She has also been in the running for GM openings with the Dodgers and Mariners.
The Padres fired GM Josh Byrnes on June 22 after going 184-215 in two-plus years under his watch.
Via Heyman, the current list of candidates to take over Byrnes’ post includes Diamondbacks scouting director Ray Montgomery, Dodgers scouting director Logan White, former Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest, Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler, Rangers assistant GM A.J. Preller, Red Sox assistant GM Mike Hazen, and Padres’ current assistant general manager A.J. Hinch. Now we can add Ng to that group.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 82
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)