Jul 2, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports has the story …
Kim Ng, MLB’s senior VP for baseball operations, is under consideration for the vacant Padres general manager job, people familiar with the search say.
Ng, the former assistant GM with the Dodgers and Yankees, would be looking to become the first female GM in any sport if her potential candidacy progresses.
Ng was interviewed for the Padres’ GM job in 2009 but the club decided to go with Jed Hoyer, who is now in that position with the Cubs. She has also been in the running for GM openings with the Dodgers and Mariners.
The Padres fired GM Josh Byrnes on June 22 after going 184-215 in two-plus years under his watch.
Via Heyman, the current list of candidates to take over Byrnes’ post includes Diamondbacks scouting director Ray Montgomery, Dodgers scouting director Logan White, former Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest, Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler, Rangers assistant GM A.J. Preller, Red Sox assistant GM Mike Hazen, and Padres’ current assistant general manager A.J. Hinch. Now we can add Ng to that group.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)