Jul 2, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports has the story …
Kim Ng, MLB’s senior VP for baseball operations, is under consideration for the vacant Padres general manager job, people familiar with the search say.
Ng, the former assistant GM with the Dodgers and Yankees, would be looking to become the first female GM in any sport if her potential candidacy progresses.
Ng was interviewed for the Padres’ GM job in 2009 but the club decided to go with Jed Hoyer, who is now in that position with the Cubs. She has also been in the running for GM openings with the Dodgers and Mariners.
The Padres fired GM Josh Byrnes on June 22 after going 184-215 in two-plus years under his watch.
Via Heyman, the current list of candidates to take over Byrnes’ post includes Diamondbacks scouting director Ray Montgomery, Dodgers scouting director Logan White, former Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest, Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler, Rangers assistant GM A.J. Preller, Red Sox assistant GM Mike Hazen, and Padres’ current assistant general manager A.J. Hinch. Now we can add Ng to that group.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)