Jul 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
Initially the Padres indicated that they’d wait a few days to see how Everth Cabrera‘s hamstring injury felt before making a disabled list decision, but Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the shortstop will be placed on the DL before tonight’s game.
To replace him on the roster the Padres are calling up journeyman Brooks Conrad, who isn’t a shortstop, which means the fill-in will likely be Alexi Amarista shifting over from second base.
Cabrera had a very poor first half, hitting .218 with a .546 OPS that’s nearly 200 points below his 2013 mark and 100 points off his career norm. And even his base-stealing has declined, with seven caught stealings to go with 13 successful steals after he swiped 44 bases in 2012 and 37 bases last year.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 5
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (77)