Jul 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Initially the Padres indicated that they’d wait a few days to see how Everth Cabrera‘s hamstring injury felt before making a disabled list decision, but Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the shortstop will be placed on the DL before tonight’s game.
To replace him on the roster the Padres are calling up journeyman Brooks Conrad, who isn’t a shortstop, which means the fill-in will likely be Alexi Amarista shifting over from second base.
Cabrera had a very poor first half, hitting .218 with a .546 OPS that’s nearly 200 points below his 2013 mark and 100 points off his career norm. And even his base-stealing has declined, with seven caught stealings to go with 13 successful steals after he swiped 44 bases in 2012 and 37 bases last year.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)