Jul 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
Initially the Padres indicated that they’d wait a few days to see how Everth Cabrera‘s hamstring injury felt before making a disabled list decision, but Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the shortstop will be placed on the DL before tonight’s game.
To replace him on the roster the Padres are calling up journeyman Brooks Conrad, who isn’t a shortstop, which means the fill-in will likely be Alexi Amarista shifting over from second base.
Cabrera had a very poor first half, hitting .218 with a .546 OPS that’s nearly 200 points below his 2013 mark and 100 points off his career norm. And even his base-stealing has declined, with seven caught stealings to go with 13 successful steals after he swiped 44 bases in 2012 and 37 bases last year.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 0
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 31
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 12
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 133
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (134)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)