Jul 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
Initially the Padres indicated that they’d wait a few days to see how Everth Cabrera‘s hamstring injury felt before making a disabled list decision, but Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the shortstop will be placed on the DL before tonight’s game.
To replace him on the roster the Padres are calling up journeyman Brooks Conrad, who isn’t a shortstop, which means the fill-in will likely be Alexi Amarista shifting over from second base.
Cabrera had a very poor first half, hitting .218 with a .546 OPS that’s nearly 200 points below his 2013 mark and 100 points off his career norm. And even his base-stealing has declined, with seven caught stealings to go with 13 successful steals after he swiped 44 bases in 2012 and 37 bases last year.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 285
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (285)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)