Jul 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Initially the Padres indicated that they’d wait a few days to see how Everth Cabrera‘s hamstring injury felt before making a disabled list decision, but Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the shortstop will be placed on the DL before tonight’s game.
To replace him on the roster the Padres are calling up journeyman Brooks Conrad, who isn’t a shortstop, which means the fill-in will likely be Alexi Amarista shifting over from second base.
Cabrera had a very poor first half, hitting .218 with a .546 OPS that’s nearly 200 points below his 2013 mark and 100 points off his career norm. And even his base-stealing has declined, with seven caught stealings to go with 13 successful steals after he swiped 44 bases in 2012 and 37 bases last year.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)