Report: Lawyer to sue Alex Rodriguez over unpaid legal fees

Jul 2, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

Back in March reports circulated that Alex Rodriguez had some considerable unpaid legal fees. Which, as I noted at the time, is not terribly unusual in a large, expensive case. There is always negotiation and posturing after a representation — especially an unsuccessful representation — is wrapped up. It was not then worth the sort of reaction the story was getting from the Daily Newses of the World, who seized on the story to call A-Rod a deadbeat.

Flash forward a bit more than three months, however, and it appears that the negotiation and posturing hasn’t yet resulted in a settlement. The Daily News reports that one of A-Rod’s lawyers — David Cornwall — plans to sue A-Rod over the unpaid fees. The story says he plans to sue next week. We’ll see if he does.

Of course the Daily News is not content to merely report this news. It, through its I-Team Twitter feed, decided that this was a good basis to go after me personally for mocking their premature outrage back in March. It did so last night by searching for and retweeting that post I wrote back then, implicitly saying, “see, we were right!”

Personally, I love being vindicated and I am not above doing at least a little football-spiking when it turns out that, contrary to what a lot of people thought, I was right. I have an ego like anyone else and I don’t begrudge the Daily News I-Team having one too. However, this is a curious time for the Daily News to do this given that, with respect to this particular story, the passage of more than three months fundamentally changes it and does nothing to make my analysis from back in March incorrect.

Just because A-Rod is being sued now does not make their calling him a deadbeat back in March correct. Nor does it render my view at the time — that calling him a deadbeat was premature and that, at the time, there was nothing unusual about A-Rod not paying his fees yet — incorrect. Not paying his bill for more than three more months makes a pretty significant difference, actually. If you don’t believe me, pay your mortgage a week late one time. Then, a bit later, pay your mortgage three months late. See if you don’t get different reactions.

Basically, the Daily News I-Team, in its self-satisfied tweets last night, is basically saying, “See, when we said this stopped clock was telling the correct time earlier, we were right! Look at what the stopped clock says now!”

But hey, you don’t need me to tell you that the I-Team is wrong more often than it is right about such things:

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to change the lining on my bird cage. The piss has completely soaked through the ten layers of “A-Rod will never play for the Yankees again” and “The Yankees will void A-Rod’s contract” stories the Daily News wrote last year.

1. Old Gator - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM

You can win this, Craigster. Drink plenty of beer.

• happytwinsfan - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Make it 3.2 beer, accompanied by coffee.

2. droman79 - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM

If this isn’t lawyer speak, I don’t know what is. Sure I’m wrong, but I wasn’t wrong then.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM

How, exactly, was I wrong? I never said he’d never be sued. I never said he had paid his fees. I said back in March that I’m sure he hadn’t but at that juncture it wasn’t unusual.

Please: tell me in what way I was/am wrong here. Point to a statement or assertion I’ve made that is wrong about this.

• chargrz - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:13 AM

You are never wrong Craig. You were almost wrong one time but you caught yourself in the nick of time.

• Old Gator - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM

This is a civil case, Craig. The standards of stigmatization are lower than they would be in a criminal case.You remember what Deputy Lambrakis’ assistant told his colleague in the Costa-Gavras masterpiece Z? “Always blame the United States. Even when you’re wrong, you’re right.” I suggest that the same principle applies here.

I’m sending you a horse-drawn wagonload of Busch beer. You’re going to need it.

• baberuthslegs - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Craig’s statement that he said in March that Alex hadn’t paid but that not paying wasn’t unusual so soon after litigation is correct. I would think that anyone who reads this blog regularly would remember that.

• kevinbnyc - Jul 2, 2014 at 1:21 PM

You can’t read too good, can you

3. faccda01 - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM

You should change the title if this article to “Craig got proved wrong and called out, now he’s bitter.” There was more about that than about ARod in this article.

• Old Gator - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM

In literary criticism, we call such phenomena “reflexivity.”

• asimonetti88 - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:13 PM

got proved?

4. proudlycanadian - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM

He should probably sue the lawyers for bad advice in their attempt to milk him.

• Old Gator - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:18 AM

He should probably sue the lawyers for sexual battery if they tried to milk him.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised at all.

5. stoicpaisano - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM

So Calcaterra as a bigger e-cock than whoever runs the NYDN twitter.

Bully for you.

Report the news, put the mutually-childish jihad with the NYDN in the comments section where it can be easily glossed over.

• Old Gator - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM

There was a children’s crusade. Why shouldn’t there be a childish jihad?

6. rdillon99 - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Even if the lawyer does sue for his unpaid legal fees, that in and of itself still does not make ARod a deadbeat. All it means is that ARod is disputing the value of the services provided by the lawyer. Even non-deadbeats get sued sometimes.

7. mikhelb - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I was missing already news about ARod and as a plus it contains a newsworthy chunk of how the bad *dare i say journalists?* in that joke of a newspaper RT’d an old tweet to try and make valid their opinion.

hey! I’ve had a couple of weird stalkers who fav’d and RT’d old tweets i posted in 2011 and in 2008… how? like hell I know. My guess is they stored them in their favourites, un-fav’d them and fav’d them again… WEIRD!! (tends to happen with a few thousands followers, same for the 14,000+ baseball group I admin).

In your case that just goes to show how those people roll, they sometimes editorialize a story so much that they end up talking more about themselves than of the subject of their column.

8. trbmb - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Beware, watch out, the expert, Mike Lupica, could be lurking and be ready to pounce. Fear for your intellectual life once ‘Just Sayin’ Lupica rules on this. And as he’ll remind everyone, he has many friends.

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM

In all fairness, we don’t know if they are right or wrong about the whole “ARod will never play for the Yankees again” schtick. As some folks have pointed out, DFAing him now guarantees that they eat his whole contract. Might as well wait and see if he retires, or if there is some other suspension/ban on him that could get them off the hook for more dough.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM

They were on that “he’ll never play for them again” last summer before he came off the disabled list and, you know, played for them.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Oh THAT time they said he would never play again. Really, “never” is such a subjective term it can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

10. jm91rs - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Try switching to a corn cob bedding for your bird. Far better absorbency.

11. pete2112 - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM

You’re a very bitter guy, Craig. Go take a chill pill and stop crying.

• Old Gator - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM

You sound like Tuesday Weld telling Martin Mull he’s full of rage in Serial.

• pete2112 - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I suppose my statement was a bit obvious but I stand by it.

• groupofsevenrules - Jul 2, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Serial! Good grief Gator, I thought I was the only other human on the face of the planet who ever saw that movie! One of the truly underwatched films of all time. Martin Mull was fantastic – and Christopher Lee as an imperious corporate headhunter who doubles as the leader of a gay motorcycle gang on weekends? Come on man, that’s magical. I laughed my butt off. I think that was one of the great hilarious parodies of the hip yuppie San Francisco lifestyle for its time.

“A lot of rage, Harvey. A lot of rage.”

Priceless.

12. bluesoxbaseball - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM

The lawyer should wait to sue until after the statute of limitations for legal malpractice has run.

13. chc4 - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Wow, this whole posting by Craig is clownish. Talk about oversensitive. Maybe not to an attorney, but most rational thinkers would agree that a guy getting sued for lack of payment is in fact a deadbeat.

• uwsptke - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Yes, being sued after not paying his bills for several months would qualify someone for deadbeat status. However, most rational thinkers would take issue with someone from the outside calling another person a deadbeat for not paying his legal bills immediately after the conclusion of the case when haggling is very much the norm. Notice that his lawyers were not threatening any sort of legal action against him at the time (in mid-March). The passage of time fundamentally changes this situation. That’s all Craig is saying.

14. jrob23 - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:45 PM

ha ha…good for them!

15. lanflfan - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

“Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorkers God-given right.”

A line from the Mayor of New York in Ghostbusters 2, probably appropriate in this circumstance.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS