The All-Star Game caps are pretty different. And pretty cool.

Jul 2, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

I realize most new uniform tweaks on special occasions are met with derision, but I really do think that the caps the All-Stars will be wearing this year are kind of fun:

source:

The press release says the caps were “[i]nspired by the 1970s era batting helmet of this year’s host club, the Minnesota Twins.” Which, yes. I wish, however, that they didn’t have the patch on the side too, as it makes a too busy mess out of the thing. The design itself is enough of a change from the norm, right? Still: pretty sweet caps for a one-off, even if I wouldn’t want to see most teams in them every day.

Just eyeballing it, though, I think the following teams would be better off with the All-Star Game designed version than with their every day caps: Nationals, Blue Jays, Rays, Diamondbacks and Rockies. A few others — Braves, Reds, Cubs, Astros and Pirates — would look good in these as occasional alternates, even if I wouldn’t want their normal caps replaced. The white panel designs are worse than the color designs, I think.

Anyway: fun.

1. ravens2014 - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:09 PM

orioles looks unchanged…

2. Bar None - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Stop having fun. This is a baseball blog. We can only talk about saving it from its almost certain demise.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Headline: “Hat Sales are Down Across the Board, Is Baseball Done”?

• historiophiliac - Jul 2, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Those caps say “baseball is dying” all over them.

• umrguy42 - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM

3. echech88 - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Trucker hats. Okie dokie.

At least they’re not some awful camo or stars/stripes fill.

• tcthebeer - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Not to get all Uni-Watch on you, but these are technically not trucker hats. The back’s not mesh, for one thing. And the front panel is differently shaped – compare the white front on the Blue Jays hat with more trucker-hat look of this:

• mpzz - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Not to mention the fact that they’re not “hats” at all. They’re not cowboy hats or derby hats or top hats or porkpie hats. They’re baseball caps, which you’d think would be pretty obvious.

4. historiophiliac - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Dork-eee

5. philliesblow - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Another MLB “special edition” money grab. Don’t need these so close to the special 4th of July hats.

6. chip56 - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Indians one should have Chief Wahoo.

7. bluesoxbaseball - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I prefer the white panel hats to the colored panel ones.

8. natstowngreg - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM

My solid red, New Era Fifty-Nine Fifty(tm) Nats cap has accompanied me to many games since 2006. It’s a bit grungy, but I like it.

This All-Star Game version would make an OK alternate. But, IMHO, the need to change the basic cap just isn’t there.

9. rugdaniels - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I like the Mariners cap

10. musketmaniac - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM

It’s a hat until it’s broken in real good. once it’s broken in, dirty and creased it can be called a cap.

11. theebbandflow - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM

They all look terrible

12. gdobs227 - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Let’s just hope that the players have the good sense to leave the bills flat, leave the stickers on, and wear them skewed.

13. paperlions - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

These are fugly.

• historiophiliac - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM

If they don’t take the tags off, maybe they can return them.

• paperlions - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:59 PM

FYI, this morning I finally put in 2 window ACs at my house. The temps have been so nice (down into the 50s almost every night) that I didn’t need them until now.

• historiophiliac - Jul 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I really hate you right now. Pbbblt.

• paperlions - Jul 2, 2014 at 4:51 PM

If I could trade a few degrees for a baseball team that doesn’t suck, I would.

• historiophiliac - Jul 2, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I’d say you could root for the Tigers, but I don’t want you jinxing us.

14. schlom - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM

The Padres one – terrible. Fits in with the team’s offense this year though.

15. Seth Hamlin - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

A’s green cap yellow bill is hot.

16. blacksables - Jul 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Did anyone ask Bryce Harper’s opinion?

• indaburg - Jul 2, 2014 at 7:11 PM

“These are clown caps, bro.”

17. bronco58lb - Jul 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Are they wearing these caps in the actual All-Star Game or during All-Star Monday when BP and Home Run Derby take place?

18. dwrek5 - Jul 2, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Wish they woulda went full front panel. But once again I will go to Lids, feel really old, but still spend 30 minutes to pick one of these out (and another for half price).

19. philliesblow - Jul 2, 2014 at 5:08 PM

It would make more sense if all the AL caps had white panels and the NL caps colored panels to indicate home and visitors.

20. tmc602014 - Jul 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Looking at these, I realize how poor some of these logos are. Nats go for a classic single letter – and fail utterly with the font. Mets – lesser depiction of the OTHER team’s logo (logos reflect reality?). Still like the D for the Tigers but shouldn’t it be a bit larger? It looks small compared to all the other single-letter marks. And I hesitate to mention that neon “M” – it looks like the logo for an energy drink that’s linked to heart attacks.

• indaburg - Jul 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I like the Nationals’ W font. It’s simple and clean.

As for the Mets, their logo is not a lesser depiction of the other team’s logo. Since the team was created in 1962 after the departure of the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers, the logo is an homage to the NY Giants. The Mets used the NY Giants’ font, NY logo, and color as an accent, and the Dodger blue as their primary color.

• tmc602014 - Jul 2, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Thanks for the history, but to me that just reinforces that the Mets’ logo is unoriginal. For me, I don’t know what Washington’s previous incarnations logo looked like, but it the script style doesn’t do it for me. Perhaps the script style is a nod to the Expos’ logo? Of all of them, I like the Blue Jays best. Maybe I’m just more symbol cognizant than letters…

• indaburg - Jul 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Perhaps it is unoriginal, but your comment didn’t say that–it said that it may be a “lesser depiction of the OTHER team’s logo (logos reflect reality?)” meaning the Yankees. I was just letting you know that it had nothing to do with the Yankees, but rather NL baseball history in NY. It’s the Giants’ old style: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_New_York_Giants_(NL)#mediaviewer/File:New_York_Giants_Cap_(1948_-_1957).png

As for Washington’s previous logo incarnation, it looked like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Nationals#mediaviewer/File:Stephen_Strasburg_MLB_debut.jpg
        The W script font was pretty much the same on the cap, but they had a stylized block letter “Nationals” across the front on the home unis and “Washington” for the away.

I agree, the Blue Jays cap is the best looking. My 5 year old daughter approves.

21. 1590t - Jul 2, 2014 at 7:14 PM

UGLY!!!!!!!!!!

22. hieronymous27 - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:01 PM

These hats are nothing but a cheap-ass gimmick and a money-grab.

23. silverattollo - Jul 4, 2014 at 4:52 AM

Clown caps. Just another consumable. We have throw-back, St Patrick’s and 4th of July editions, camo, pink breast cancer awareness, and commemorative patch caps . . . Merchandising gimmicks that evidently work. Can’t wait til they start doing a new Disney movie release cap or maybe Marvel comic commemorative caps. So disappointed I missed out on a Little Mermaid Yankee cap. Can’t wait for the Spiderman Birds on a Bat jersey.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline