Jul 2, 2014, 6:57 AM EST
The Indians turned a triple play last night. It was not one of those cool bam-bam-bam around-the-horn numbers. It was, like a lot of triple plays, partially a function of a base running mistake. This one, you will not be shocked to know, a mistake by Yasiel Puig, who — after the first two outs were recorded on a fly out + runner from third tagging up and being pegged at home — decided to break from first to second and and was nailed there.
But it was notable for more than some classic Puiging. It was notable because the call of a triple play was upheld only after a video review. Two of them. The first one on that play at second, where the umpire initially called Puig safe and Terry Francona challenged it. It was close, but I think the call was right. The second challenge was the play at home, where the base runner was called out, Don Mattingly challenged, but the call was upheld.
It took some time and was not as fun as some of those bam-bam-bam around-the-horn triple plays, but it was still pretty cool.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)