Jul 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
As we noted yesterday, Friday marks the 75th Anniversary of Lou Gehrig’s iconic “Luckiest Man” speech. As a tribute, MLB Productions recorded a video of first basemen from every club reciting a line from the speech, intertwined with footage of Gehrig’s original words. This is extremely well done in my opinion. Hats off to MLB Productions and the players involved.
Also, hats off to MLB, which is donating $300,000 to various ALS charities to commemorate the anniversary of Gehrig’s sad, inspirational moment. Players and coaches will also be wearing commemorative patches on their jerseys.
It’ll be played at Yankee Stadium today and will play before all of the games at the other parks on Friday.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)