Jul 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
As we noted yesterday, Friday marks the 75th Anniversary of Lou Gehrig’s iconic “Luckiest Man” speech. As a tribute, MLB Productions recorded a video of first basemen from every club reciting a line from the speech, intertwined with footage of Gehrig’s original words. This is extremely well done in my opinion. Hats off to MLB Productions and the players involved.
Also, hats off to MLB, which is donating $300,000 to various ALS charities to commemorate the anniversary of Gehrig’s sad, inspirational moment. Players and coaches will also be wearing commemorative patches on their jerseys.
It’ll be played at Yankee Stadium today and will play before all of the games at the other parks on Friday.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)