Jul 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
As we noted yesterday, Friday marks the 75th Anniversary of Lou Gehrig’s iconic “Luckiest Man” speech. As a tribute, MLB Productions recorded a video of first basemen from every club reciting a line from the speech, intertwined with footage of Gehrig’s original words. This is extremely well done in my opinion. Hats off to MLB Productions and the players involved.
Also, hats off to MLB, which is donating $300,000 to various ALS charities to commemorate the anniversary of Gehrig’s sad, inspirational moment. Players and coaches will also be wearing commemorative patches on their jerseys.
It’ll be played at Yankee Stadium today and will play before all of the games at the other parks on Friday.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)