Video: Current first basemen pay tribute to Lou Gehrig and his “Luckiest Man” speech

Jul 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

As we noted yesterday, Friday marks the 75th Anniversary of Lou Gehrig’s iconic “Luckiest Man” speech. As a tribute, MLB Productions recorded a video of first basemen from every club reciting a line from the speech, intertwined with footage of Gehrig’s original words. This is extremely well done in my opinion. Hats off to MLB Productions and the players involved.

Also, hats off to MLB, which is donating $300,000 to various ALS charities to commemorate the anniversary of Gehrig’s sad, inspirational moment. Players and coaches will also be wearing commemorative  patches on their jerseys.

It’ll be played at Yankee Stadium today and will play before all of the games at the other parks on Friday.

1. moogro - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Jeter would be better on first base. I wish the piano wasn’t so busy, and the music mix so loud. It steps on the players’ words.

• twinfan24 - Jul 2, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Doesn’t seem like the time or place to rip on Jeter. There are numerous other opportunities for that elsewhere.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Jul 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

That’s F’n tremendous, MLB. Tremendous.

3. rickdefeatals - Jul 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM

As a long time Yankee fan and recently diagnosed with ALS this video moved me to tears and I only hope I can emulate him in some small way. If I could have spoken to him after his last line in this speech I would have said “I do too Lou, I do too.” Thank you MLB for raising awareness of this terrible disease.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Rick, all fans of good cheer wish you the very best in your fight!

• rickdefeatals - Jul 2, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Thank you and spread the word, we can’t win this without you!

• chad10 - Jul 2, 2014 at 7:09 PM

rickdefeatals, sorry about the thumbs down. Not sorry because I did it (I didn’t). Sorry on behalf of the human race.

• rickdefeatals - Jul 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Yes I even re-read my post to see if there was anything that offense could be taken from and did not. I figure it was either a mistake or someone that hates the Yankees…

• hammertoe11 - Jul 3, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Rick, i hope one day soon they well find a cure so you and thousands of ALS patients can live a happy normal life.

4. borgmend - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Home run MLB

5. hammertoe11 - Jul 3, 2014 at 3:29 AM

There is a movie called “Pride of the Yankees” It tells life story about Lou Gehrig. It’s a great tribute too Lou Gehrig.
    Thank you MLB for this outstanding tribute clip to Lou Gehrig.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3451)