Jul 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
When you read that headline, you should not think of The Escape Club or Will Smith. You should think Kool Moe Dee. Everyone always thinks of someone besides Kool Moe Dee and that’s just wrong.
That aside, yes, the AL West is becoming all kinds of fun lately. Today the Tigers finished off a sweep of the A’s behind a better-than-he-has-been-but-not-as-good-as-he-can-be Justin Verlander. Verlander scattered nine hits (if there were ten, those hits would have been “weathered”) as the Tigers put up a six spot in the sixth with three RBI singles and an RBI double. Meanwhile, Seattle knocked off Houston 5-2, as Chris Young struck out eight and the M’s bullpen once again put up zeroes.
That’s four straight wins for the M’s and three straight losses for Oakland. The A’s are still in first and the M’s are still in third, but Seattle is now only four and a half back. They were 7.5 back when we woke up on Monday morning. If the season ended today, well, we’d be sad because it will likely have ended abruptly due to some huge, national tragedy that required the season to be suspended. A nuclear accident? Alien invasion? The Rapture?
But whatever caused it to end, it would end with the Mariners in the playoffs.
Which would also be suspended, but let that go for a second.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)