Jul 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
When you read that headline, you should not think of The Escape Club or Will Smith. You should think Kool Moe Dee. Everyone always thinks of someone besides Kool Moe Dee and that’s just wrong.
That aside, yes, the AL West is becoming all kinds of fun lately. Today the Tigers finished off a sweep of the A’s behind a better-than-he-has-been-but-not-as-good-as-he-can-be Justin Verlander. Verlander scattered nine hits (if there were ten, those hits would have been “weathered”) as the Tigers put up a six spot in the sixth with three RBI singles and an RBI double. Meanwhile, Seattle knocked off Houston 5-2, as Chris Young struck out eight and the M’s bullpen once again put up zeroes.
That’s four straight wins for the M’s and three straight losses for Oakland. The A’s are still in first and the M’s are still in third, but Seattle is now only four and a half back. They were 7.5 back when we woke up on Monday morning. If the season ended today, well, we’d be sad because it will likely have ended abruptly due to some huge, national tragedy that required the season to be suspended. A nuclear accident? Alien invasion? The Rapture?
But whatever caused it to end, it would end with the Mariners in the playoffs.
Which would also be suspended, but let that go for a second.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)