Jul 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
When you read that headline, you should not think of The Escape Club or Will Smith. You should think Kool Moe Dee. Everyone always thinks of someone besides Kool Moe Dee and that’s just wrong.
That aside, yes, the AL West is becoming all kinds of fun lately. Today the Tigers finished off a sweep of the A’s behind a better-than-he-has-been-but-not-as-good-as-he-can-be Justin Verlander. Verlander scattered nine hits (if there were ten, those hits would have been “weathered”) as the Tigers put up a six spot in the sixth with three RBI singles and an RBI double. Meanwhile, Seattle knocked off Houston 5-2, as Chris Young struck out eight and the M’s bullpen once again put up zeroes.
That’s four straight wins for the M’s and three straight losses for Oakland. The A’s are still in first and the M’s are still in third, but Seattle is now only four and a half back. They were 7.5 back when we woke up on Monday morning. If the season ended today, well, we’d be sad because it will likely have ended abruptly due to some huge, national tragedy that required the season to be suspended. A nuclear accident? Alien invasion? The Rapture?
But whatever caused it to end, it would end with the Mariners in the playoffs.
Which would also be suspended, but let that go for a second.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)