Jul 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
When you read that headline, you should not think of The Escape Club or Will Smith. You should think Kool Moe Dee. Everyone always thinks of someone besides Kool Moe Dee and that’s just wrong.
That aside, yes, the AL West is becoming all kinds of fun lately. Today the Tigers finished off a sweep of the A’s behind a better-than-he-has-been-but-not-as-good-as-he-can-be Justin Verlander. Verlander scattered nine hits (if there were ten, those hits would have been “weathered”) as the Tigers put up a six spot in the sixth with three RBI singles and an RBI double. Meanwhile, Seattle knocked off Houston 5-2, as Chris Young struck out eight and the M’s bullpen once again put up zeroes.
That’s four straight wins for the M’s and three straight losses for Oakland. The A’s are still in first and the M’s are still in third, but Seattle is now only four and a half back. They were 7.5 back when we woke up on Monday morning. If the season ended today, well, we’d be sad because it will likely have ended abruptly due to some huge, national tragedy that required the season to be suspended. A nuclear accident? Alien invasion? The Rapture?
But whatever caused it to end, it would end with the Mariners in the playoffs.
Which would also be suspended, but let that go for a second.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)