Jul 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
When you read that headline, you should not think of The Escape Club or Will Smith. You should think Kool Moe Dee. Everyone always thinks of someone besides Kool Moe Dee and that’s just wrong.
That aside, yes, the AL West is becoming all kinds of fun lately. Today the Tigers finished off a sweep of the A’s behind a better-than-he-has-been-but-not-as-good-as-he-can-be Justin Verlander. Verlander scattered nine hits (if there were ten, those hits would have been “weathered”) as the Tigers put up a six spot in the sixth with three RBI singles and an RBI double. Meanwhile, Seattle knocked off Houston 5-2, as Chris Young struck out eight and the M’s bullpen once again put up zeroes.
That’s four straight wins for the M’s and three straight losses for Oakland. The A’s are still in first and the M’s are still in third, but Seattle is now only four and a half back. They were 7.5 back when we woke up on Monday morning. If the season ended today, well, we’d be sad because it will likely have ended abruptly due to some huge, national tragedy that required the season to be suspended. A nuclear accident? Alien invasion? The Rapture?
But whatever caused it to end, it would end with the Mariners in the playoffs.
Which would also be suspended, but let that go for a second.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 6
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 22
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 93
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (93)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)