Jul 3, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
And the Ruben Rivera Award goes to . . . Dbacks’ minor league pitcher Anderson Placido!
The Diamondbacks released a minor-league pitcher after he was accused of stealing from a teammate, according to a published report . . . Hillsboro Hops manager J.R. House believes Placido sneaked into the clubhouse during a game to take the items, according to a story on OregonLive.com.
The other minor leaguers are all broke anyway, man. Go do the respectable thing and rob a bank or something. Gosh.
Rivera is still the all-time champ here. For those who don’t recall:
Early in 2002, the Yankees signed him as a free agent, but released him during spring training after Rivera took teammate Derek Jeter‘s glove and bat, and then sold them to a sports memorabilia dealer, reportedly for $2,500.
That’s moxie, my friends. Forward-thinking. If he had gotten away with it, Rivera’s haul would have appreciated nicely by now. What’s this Placido guy doing? Going after a low-A level player’s iPhone? Release the guy for lack of vision just as much as the theft.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)