Jul 3, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
And the Ruben Rivera Award goes to . . . Dbacks’ minor league pitcher Anderson Placido!
The Diamondbacks released a minor-league pitcher after he was accused of stealing from a teammate, according to a published report . . . Hillsboro Hops manager J.R. House believes Placido sneaked into the clubhouse during a game to take the items, according to a story on OregonLive.com.
The other minor leaguers are all broke anyway, man. Go do the respectable thing and rob a bank or something. Gosh.
Rivera is still the all-time champ here. For those who don’t recall:
Early in 2002, the Yankees signed him as a free agent, but released him during spring training after Rivera took teammate Derek Jeter‘s glove and bat, and then sold them to a sports memorabilia dealer, reportedly for $2,500.
That’s moxie, my friends. Forward-thinking. If he had gotten away with it, Rivera’s haul would have appreciated nicely by now. What’s this Placido guy doing? Going after a low-A level player’s iPhone? Release the guy for lack of vision just as much as the theft.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)