Jul 3, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
And the Ruben Rivera Award goes to . . . Dbacks’ minor league pitcher Anderson Placido!
The Diamondbacks released a minor-league pitcher after he was accused of stealing from a teammate, according to a published report . . . Hillsboro Hops manager J.R. House believes Placido sneaked into the clubhouse during a game to take the items, according to a story on OregonLive.com.
The other minor leaguers are all broke anyway, man. Go do the respectable thing and rob a bank or something. Gosh.
Rivera is still the all-time champ here. For those who don’t recall:
Early in 2002, the Yankees signed him as a free agent, but released him during spring training after Rivera took teammate Derek Jeter‘s glove and bat, and then sold them to a sports memorabilia dealer, reportedly for $2,500.
That’s moxie, my friends. Forward-thinking. If he had gotten away with it, Rivera’s haul would have appreciated nicely by now. What’s this Placido guy doing? Going after a low-A level player’s iPhone? Release the guy for lack of vision just as much as the theft.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)