Jul 3, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
And the Ruben Rivera Award goes to . . . Dbacks’ minor league pitcher Anderson Placido!
The Diamondbacks released a minor-league pitcher after he was accused of stealing from a teammate, according to a published report . . . Hillsboro Hops manager J.R. House believes Placido sneaked into the clubhouse during a game to take the items, according to a story on OregonLive.com.
The other minor leaguers are all broke anyway, man. Go do the respectable thing and rob a bank or something. Gosh.
Rivera is still the all-time champ here. For those who don’t recall:
Early in 2002, the Yankees signed him as a free agent, but released him during spring training after Rivera took teammate Derek Jeter‘s glove and bat, and then sold them to a sports memorabilia dealer, reportedly for $2,500.
That’s moxie, my friends. Forward-thinking. If he had gotten away with it, Rivera’s haul would have appreciated nicely by now. What’s this Placido guy doing? Going after a low-A level player’s iPhone? Release the guy for lack of vision just as much as the theft.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)