Jul 3, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
And the Ruben Rivera Award goes to . . . Dbacks’ minor league pitcher Anderson Placido!
The Diamondbacks released a minor-league pitcher after he was accused of stealing from a teammate, according to a published report . . . Hillsboro Hops manager J.R. House believes Placido sneaked into the clubhouse during a game to take the items, according to a story on OregonLive.com.
The other minor leaguers are all broke anyway, man. Go do the respectable thing and rob a bank or something. Gosh.
Rivera is still the all-time champ here. For those who don’t recall:
Early in 2002, the Yankees signed him as a free agent, but released him during spring training after Rivera took teammate Derek Jeter‘s glove and bat, and then sold them to a sports memorabilia dealer, reportedly for $2,500.
That’s moxie, my friends. Forward-thinking. If he had gotten away with it, Rivera’s haul would have appreciated nicely by now. What’s this Placido guy doing? Going after a low-A level player’s iPhone? Release the guy for lack of vision just as much as the theft.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)