And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Jul 3, 2014, 7:23 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 7.17.16 AM AP

Blue Jays 7, Brewers 4: A three-run walkoff homer for Edwin Encarnacion to give one surprise first place team the win over another surprise first place team. This is what Encarnacion actually, truly said about the hit after the game: “He hanged it, I banged it.” I don’t feel like that’ll turn into the hot new t-shirt of the summer, but then again, I did not expect “Turn down for what” to turn into some thing Tigers players put on their t-shirts either.

Cubs 16, Red Sox 9: A three game sweep for the Cubbies punctuated by a four-homer, sixteen run thrashing. Justin Ruggiano drove in five and had a two-run homer. Mike OltNate Schierholtz and Wellington Castillo added homers of their own. Mookie Betts had his first big league bomb, but the Sox lost their ninth of 13.

Marlins 5, Phillies 0Tom Koehler tossed six shutout innings and then got the hell out of the park because his wife is about to give birth. This is very similar to what I did the night before my son was born: I went to go see “Batman Begins” by myself. Both of us picked up the win.

Royals 4 ,Twins 0Jason Vargas threw seven scoreless innings and Raul Ibanez homered for the first time since his return to the Royals. The last time he homered as a Royal was September 22, 2003. Wanna put that date in perspective? It was so long ago that, on that very same date, David Hempleman-Adams became the first person to cross the Atlantic Ocean in an open-air, wicker-basket hot air balloon! Wait, that doesn’t put it in perspective for you? What the hell do you want from me? There wasn’t much that was both historic and perspective-inducing happening on that day, OK? Ibanez being in his 30s is about as crazy-old as it gets.

Padres 3, Reds 0: My phone rings in the middle of the afternoon yesterday. It’s my brother.

Curt: Dude! Are you watching any baseball right now?

Me: I have a game on, sure [I was half watching the Dodgers-Indians]

Curt: Is it the Padres game?

Me: No. Why would I be watching the Padres game? They’re boring.

Curt: Because I’m THERE dude! I’m sitting in left field, wearing a Social Distortion shirt! Turn it on!

Me: I’m probably not going to see you.

My Daughter, who is watching the Dodgers game with me and has caught enough of the conversation to know what’s going on, grabs the remote and switches it to the Padres game. Then yells so my brother can hear it: “I’m looking for you Uncle Curt! Wave!”

Curt: [yelling in an effort to get my daughter to hear him] “HI ANNA!!”

Sometimes I feel like the only adult for miles and miles. Sometimes I also feel like the only one not having any fun. Then again, no one hit a homer to left field — indeed, the only runs scored on a crazy-rare three-run single from Rene Rivera — so I ended up being right. And still boring.

Mariners 5, Astros 2: Chris Young struck out eight and the M’s bullpen once again put up zeroes. That’s four straight wins for the M’s and as I’ll note below, three straight losses for Oakland. The A’s are still in first and the M’s are still in third, but Seattle is now only four and a half back. They were 7.5 back when we woke up on Monday morning.

Braves 3, Mets 1: The sweep gives the Braves their seventh straight win. Julio Teheran gave up a run on four hits and pitched around three walks while getting what was, for him anyway, copious run support.

Pirates 5, Diamondbacks 1: Gregory Polanco hit a two-run homer and reached base three times. The Pirates have won nine of 11.

Tigers 9, Athletics 3: The Tigers finished off a sweep of the A’s behind a better-than-he-has-been-but-not-as-good-as-he-can-be Justin Verlander. Verlander scattered nine hits (if there were ten, those hits would have been “weathered”) as the Tigers put up a six spot in the sixth with three RBI singles and an RBI double. The A’s may be the best team in baseball so far this year, but the Tigers seem to have their number. They probably shouldn’t panic, though. Maybe it’s just one of those Michael-Jordan-can’t-get-passed-the-Pistons situations that will eventually resolve itself.

Not gonna go back and count, but I bet I used more hyphens in that recap than I ever have in the six-year history of “And That Happened.”

Nationals 4, Rockies 3: Ian Desmond hit a go-ahead homer in the seventh. At least it ended up being a called a homer after a four-minute video review. So that was dramatic. The Nats have picked a great time to win five in a row, thereby blunting the Braves’ own winning streak.

Rays 6, Yankees 3: I was on the phone waiting to do a radio spot yesterday and the producer guy was talking to me, telling me that the Rays were going to win the AL East this year. He even said “You can mark it down!” So here I am marking it down. I didn’t have much of a response to that but, if I had been thinking more quickly I probably would’ve told him that sweeping this version of the New York Yankees is probably not a good basis for making any sort of predictions.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $25,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on ThursdayHere’s the FanDuel link.

Indians 5, Dodgers 4: A three-run rally against Brian Wilson in the eighth sealed it. Wilson retired only one of the six batters he faced, giving up a tying single to David Murphy and a two-run RBI to Mike Aviles.

White Sox 3, Angels 2Leury Garcia with a pinch-hit walkoff single. It was the first White Sox win over the Angels in seven tries. Also: it just occurred to me, a decade later, that you’ll probably be able to stump more people with questions about who won the World Series in 2002 and 2005 than you will with almost any other World Series in recent history.

Orioles 6, Rangers 4Adam Jones and Ryan Flaherty hit solo homers. The Rangers have lost eight straight road games.

Cardinals 2, Giants 0: Adam Wainwright pitched shutout ball into the eighth. Matts Carpenter and Holliday had RBI singles.

126 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. proudlycanadian - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Encarnacion’s home run was the third of the game for the Jays. Bautista tied the game in the first with a home run. Later, Francisco would tie it at 4 runs each with a home run off the team that cut him in the spring.

There was a cute shot of a couple of young Bautista fans wearing fake Bautista style beards.

The Brewers have today off and rather than fly directly to Cincy, elected to spend the night enjoying Toronto. Some of the Brewers. probably wanted to enjoy the taste of real beer.

• aresachaela - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM

CALM YO BIRDS DOWN!!

(Blown away by frustration………)

• proudlycanadian - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:42 AM

They have flown to Oakland for a four game series. The last time the Jays played Oakland, they swept a three game series.

• aresachaela - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Ugh….. I can’t believe I’ll be rooting for the Atheltics on that one….

2. aresachaela - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:39 AM

FFFFUUUUUUUUUDD!!

YEANKEES SUCKING FAST :-( !!

• cur68 - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:27 AM

They’re The Yankees. The always seem to find a way or at least make a run of it. Still half a season to go. Take heart.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM

It’s crueler to encourage them. Much better to lower their expectations…if possible with the Borg.

• cur68 - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM

For years My Boys wandered The Wilderness. And we, their long suffering fans, did suffer. The sight of suffering, even that of The Borg, is a bit more than some of us can take.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM

There are two kinds of baseball fans in this world: the Borg and members of Hater Nation. You must pick one, and there is no in between (except when you are rooting for them strictly as the AL representative in the WS). I did not unwrite these rules. They were unwritten for us generations ago. You are either Hatfield or McCoy. Montague or Capulet. Team Brangelina or Team Aniston. Frankly, if you are getting weak in your old age — oh, just rub some blubber on it and homer up already! >:(

• cur68 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Treebeard: Side? I am on nobody’s side, because nobody is on my side, little orc.

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM

See down below, cur. Once more I hit the wrong reply.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Did you just call me fat???? >:(

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM

In the immortal words of Willie Dixon, you ain’t fat. You built for comfort, not speed.

• renaado - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Told you already to only watch when Tanaka’s pitchin, there’s a 5 percent chance of them winnin when your watchin. Joke, seriously JUST watch when Tanaka’s on the mound though.

• aresachaela - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Hahaha.

I find your lack of g’s really funny Ren ;-)

• sandpiperair - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Yeah, me too.

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM

You said it, cur. My whole view of politics in general.

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:39 AM

The AL East has evolved into three groups. There are 2 contenders, one sub .500 pretender and 2 tail enders.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:53 AM

The way you have evolved into a front-running trash-talker this season has been uncomfortable to watch. Some people just can’t stand their extremely temporary prosperity. The season is half over, no one is even 10 games out. Would you really be surprised if the Rays or Red Sox made a run? The Orioles could be in first place in a week.

Remember to breathe, and dial down the crazy talk, will ya?

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I love irony.

• paperlions - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

A couple things.

1) PC didn’t just show up when the Jays started to win. Calling him a front runner isn’t accurate. He’s blindly optimistic about his team and it’s players, which isn’t a bad quality in a fan.

2) The Blue Jays haven’t been to the playoffs in 21 years. They have only finished 2nd once during that time and that was only because the 2007 Red Sox took a dive at the end of the year. They haven’t been truly competitive in over 2 decades. I have no problem at all with fan excitement about winning after such a long drought. Yankee and Red Sox fans are super annoying and their teams have been competitive almost every year for the last 2 decades.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Trash-talking front-runner. Meaning when the Jays weren’t winning, s/he didn’t talk a bunch of trash. I’m not the only one who’s noticed.

If you’re going to be condescending enough to give me recent history lessons on the AL East, we can’t be friends. In case you didn’t notice yet, I’m kind of a big baseball fan, especially it’s history.

I like PC. That’s why my comment was less prickly that usual.

• paperlions - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I know you are a big fan….I am just saying that if your team is always competitive, it is easy to forget how exciting it is for a fan whose team is never competitive…..and, c’mon, PC has talked trash when the Jays sucked, too. My person favorite was from 2013, when he stated that the Jays AAA team would have a better rotation than some MLB teams. He has always been a 100% optimistic blind homer that thinks everyone on team is great or going to be great even when all of the evidence suggests that they are not (e.g. Gose, Hechhavaria, Goins, Kawasaki).

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Histo…. you misspelled “ironing”.

Silly lady.

• cur68 - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Leave PC Alone!

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Lighten up, Francis. It’s funny.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Celebrating a touchdown at the 45 yard line is also funny.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Exactly.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I don’t love irony. Irony is an essential component of hemoglobin. I prefer magnesium, which is an essential component of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll and hemoglobin are all but identical except that one has an atom of irony and the other has an atom of magnesium. If not for that stupid atom of irony, we could stand in the sun and make our own sugars and life would be sweet. However, because of irony, all we can do when we stand in the sun is get sunburned and skin cancer. Yes, I know that’s ironic, but for all I care, you can keep your irony.

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM

But Gator, then we would be pumping massive amounts of oxygen into the atmosphere, and there would be carbon dioxide deficits because we would all be using it to build our sugars.

Think of the…………. Oh the hell with it. Never mind.

• nbjays - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:54 AM

I dunno, PC… the Red Sawks seems to be making an all-out dive for the cellar, hotly pursued by the Yankees.

• aresachaela - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:56 AM

(……………………)

Yeankees will bounce right back up.

• Shayna - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Dead cat bounce, Aresachaela.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I know they eat cats in China. I wonder if they’ve expanded the palate in the Philippines too.

• aresachaela - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM

You really have quite a taste there Old Gator XD!! But we don’t eat cats, dogs, mice other pets that can roll over spit hairballs out and etc. I believe Ren mentioned this already XD!!

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I’m just checking. I guess if I were a dog or cat I’d be happier to live in Manila than Beijing or Bali, given the culinary preferences there. I wouldn’t want to wind up skewered and grilled on a rijstaffel either. I’m just grateful that the hotel in Bali that offered the feast had the common sense to label everything in Latin characters. They probably sent most of their Canadian, American and western European tourists running back to the restaurant to order seafood a la carte from the menu, but at least no one came home with heartworm. A few tapeworms, maybe. But no heartworm.

However, with the price of beef and feesh going through the ceiling over here – and everyone blaming the weather, even the Republicans – and chicken can’t be far behind, can it? – Americans are going to need a new, cheaper protein source. We don’t have the infrastructure to produce massive quantities of Soylent Green™ yet, and we have a lot of stray dogs and cats (except that the pythons are making serious inroads into the local Macondo supply). On the brighter side, we can grow an unlimited quantity of bitter melon here, so if East Asia can endow us with some decent recipes, we have a recipe companion that can compliment dog and cat very nicely.

• renaado - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Hmmm, we don’t eat these kind of animals in the Philippines though but crocodile bbq is defenitely a thing here, not to mention crocodile meat when bein grilled tasted like chicken, certainly a quisine worth tryin Gator.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

What is it with you and eating pets lately, OG?

• groupofsevenrules - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Ren – you missed Gator’s suggestions for using alligator meat like veal (as oppoed to the more pedestrian ‘chicken’) last year. According to HBT’s ranking culinary expositor, you can use alligator for anything you would make with veal. If I’m not mistaken he offered up a recipe for alligator Weiner Schnitzel a la Hollstein which, sadly, I cannot find this morning. He suggests soaking the alligator cutlets in papaya juice or pineapple juice (or, I think, even milk) overnight before beating it with a veal mallet and then just following whatever your favorite veal recipe might be.

Sadly, after doing a little checking around, I determined that it would be less expensive to have our local Walmart or Saveonfoods markets special order us a platinum ingot than a pound or two of alligator meat. I’ll have to wait for our next Macondo vacation and ask the Gator to whup up a batch of that schnitzel for us.

• renaado - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM

It’s crocodile meat sevenrules, eatin alligator meat here is now illegal cause of it’s dwindling species ( couldn’t tell much of their difference though, looks same to me if it weren’t of it’s jaws and teeth), sorry about the lack of recipes when makin that Gator, soon when I’ll go back to that restaurant I’ll ask on what’s the technique on doin that cause man… It’s dang delicous!

• renaado - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Ugh, This comments here are “food talk daily” :-(

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I think Seven was merely emphasizing the indissoluble brotherhood of crocodilians. Gator and croc taste about the same. You can’t eat alligator in the Philippines because the closest species is the endangered Yangtze alligator (Alligator sinensis) which is indeed in deep ecological doo-doo. Here in Macondo American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) is not only not endangered, but is now more abundant than healthy for the ecosystem due to over-protection. There’s an alligator hunting season here. But it is also ackcherley farmed for the supermarket and readily available.

The two primary prey items of the American alligator are dogs and marshmallows.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Indy: have you seen the price of beef lately? The cost of pet meat is unaffected by drought and flood. We need to stop wasting our terminated racehorses on glue and dog food.

• aresachaela - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

XD!! I see someone’s hungryyy

• renaado - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Dang Gator, you really are knowledgable about this.

@Achaela….. I certainly am not (an evenin snack wouldn’t hurt much though.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Mmmmm… medium rare bone-in ribeye. I noticed it went up a buck a pound, but it’s worth the splurge. I don’t have the heart to eat my great pyr… yet.

We need to ship some gator meat to the Philippines. Do you eat python meat by any chance?

• renaado - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM

No, well their skin is somewhat used for accessories here though…

• nbjays - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I’m quite surprised that Old Gator hasn’t offered up a python recipe or two, considering their abundance in the wilds of FL.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Keep the food in baseball!

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Because you asked for it:

INGREDIENTS

Python Steaks, about 2 lbs., soaked in papaya or pineapple juice overnight in the fridge, then pounded like veal.
        1 large onion, sliced
        6-10 garlic cloves, to taste, diced or grated
        1 tbsp Turmeric
        Thumb of ginger, grated
        1 tbsp lime juice
        Lemon grass, pureed
        2 tbsp paprika (or 3/4 tsp cayenne for the adventurous)
        Rice wine, s tpsp
        Vegetable oil (coconut works best), 2-3 tbsp
        2 qts chicken broth

First boil and poach the steaks with lime juice, lemon grass onion, garlic and ginger in the chicken broth until tender. Drain. Next, saute the onion, ginger, garlic from the broth on low heat until lightly brown. Add python, rice wine, and a little more chicken broth and poach over low flame for 10 minutes or longer until reduced. Serve over brown rice.

I have tried this. It’s not bad at all. I might also recommend adding a generous handful of finely chopped coriander to the final reduction.

Python meat, we got. I also have a couple of BBQ recipes that I haven’t tried yet.

• spacenettle - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Meanwhile…

4. Shayna - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:56 AM

You know how exciting a walk-off homer is on TV? Well, it’s wildly better at the park. I was there to see EE settle matters in the bottom of the 9th with two out, and as soon as bat hit ball, I and about 25,000 others were on our feet roaring.

My Young Baseball Friend and I had been unable to get tickets for Canada Day (a sellout), so we went on Wednesday instead. YBF is in her last year of qualifying for child-price tickets, so we are trying to take advantage. We had tickets in the 500 level on the 3rd base side, and it was less than $25 for the two of us. But it was a mercilessly hot day with a blazing sun. We were knocking back bottled water by the litre. Indeed, I put up my umbrella to shelter under, having asked permission from the usher. Sadly, there were plenty of empty rows behind us so it disturbed no one. A shame, given that we’re leading the AL East, but it was a working day.

We had started out regretting having missed Hutch’s great pitching performance on Tuesday, as well as Bautista’s first home run after coming back from hamstring troubles. Those regrets didn’t last long. Joey Bats homered for us in the bottom of the first, tying the game at 1-1. Happ pitched, as they say, well enough to win. Two disputed call went against us, in each case with a replay on the big screen strongly suggesting that justice was not done. Both managers were tossed.

And of course, the happy ending: with two runners on in the bottom of the 9th, Edwin took the parrot for a walk. We have borrowed a tradition from hockey and now his teammates will tear the jersey off a Blue Jays player who hits a walk-off. EE threw the jersey into the crowd and retreated into the dugout, despite the ongoing applause and cheers of the assembly. It was a happy ride home. One of my favourite baseball days ever.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM

They have a mezzanine at the Rogers for women only?

Nyuknyuknyuknyuk….

Only kidding. I remember the first time I went to an orthodox wedding reception with my wife and we stupidly got up to dance together. Oh boy, the silence – my mother sidled over quietly and shook her head, and then I remembered. Eating stone crab will blank your memory chips, you know? The worst part of it was, she had been trying to get me to dance with her for years and I would keep begging orf, pleading that I didn’t want to crush her toes.

• Shayna - Jul 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Oh, my Gator, how transparent you are. Your subconscious clearly reasoned that a safe way to undermine your good lady’s legitimate hopes that you might someday dance with her was to attempt to do so in a milieu where mixed dancing was frowned upon. You could then righteously plead that you really did want to dance with her and had tried, but circumstances had prevented you. That “crush your toes” excuse — that never washes. Save your breath.

5. cur68 - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM

And THAT is how you do THAT. Edwin is one heck of a nice dude so I’m pretty pleased to see him having this monster season. The Return of Bautista certainly helped matters though. A mere sliver of a lead is all that separates My Boys from The Rest but a lead is a lead. Nice.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:26 AM

And THAT is how you root for a team while still maintaining a sense of perspective. Maybe you can tutor PC.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I really wish you would re-think your valorization of “a sense of perspective.” Any unreconstructed poststructuralist would tell you that the term is self-subverting.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

• wonkypenguin - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:52 AM

There is no place for perspective in sports fandom. That would be the most boring way to celebrate what is thus far an excellent season. And why be boring or calm about something entirely arbitrary?

• jimeejohnson - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM

And who needs stinkin’ facts?

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Steenkin’ facts, which we need even less than bedges.

6. kycardsfan - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Cards offense EXPLODED for 2 runs last night. Thankfully Waino was on the mound to make it stand. Still can’t wrap my head around the fact this team is ranked 29th in runs. So many underachievers at this point.

• paperlions - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Yeah, would have been nice if they’d saved one of those runs for today.

• kycardsfan - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Maybe baby Pedro will come with his good stuff today. Giants haven’t exactly been knocking the cover off the ball as of late either. Big weekend to bring Milwaukee back to the pack if Reds take care of business and we beat those Fish from Miami.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Don’t worry, guys. The Feesh are coming to town. Just pitch around the Iron Giant like everyone else does and you have a better than even chance of getting back in the race.

There, Mo – how’s that for keeping a “sense of perspective” about your rooting interests?

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Booooo!!!!!!

/shoots with silly string

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM

But I thought perspective just disappeared in a puff of logic. So confused.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

OG: you missed the Peameal Bacon Sandwich in Toronto. Did you know Toronto used to be the swine capital of Canada, with tons of pork butchers? If you keep Kosher, I asked.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Should read ” If you keep Kosher, forget it”!

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I keep kosher.

Locked in the basement.

Pass the chicharrones, will you?

7. Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Well, I didn’t know that stuff about Koehler’s wife being in labor – dear Buddha, first Nathan Eovaldi, now Koehler. At least Koehler handled it, whereas Eovaldi got shelled in the same situation. The pool is nice but it seems that what Macondo Banana Massacre Field really needs is a tidal wetland area where the rotation can breed. The peetchers are milting all over the infield.

It was a mitzvah, apparently, because the Feesh even preserved Koehler’s shutout through an inning of relief by Goggles himself. If Gregg ever got jaundiced, he would look like one of Gru’s minions. But last night he got away with some fat peetches that got crushed the night before. I’m not so naive as to think that the Feelies were simply showing a little mercy. Unfortunately, I suppose that his performance last night means he’ll be trotted out again in a close set-up role. Fortunately, having seen him out there, the Feesh – Ozuna and Salty, in this case – realized that they were living on a borrowed lead and Salty crushed his first homer since the K/T meteorite hit to drive in Ozuna and pad the margin for Chris Hatcher, in case he slipped on milt while trying to deliver a two strike peetch.

With the Gnats winning, the Feesh remained five and a half back and two south of the strange attractor. They better fatten up on the Feelies tonight, because they have a weekend series in St. Looie, where they rarely play well even ahead of a fire sale.

• groupofsevenrules - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I see your Feesh are sending Brad Hand to the mound tonight. I guess he’s been eating innings and ketchup out of a can lately. They sent him down, did they not?

I meant to watch part of that game last night but, as I’m sure you realize, the delirium following EE’s coup-de-grace of the Brewers was sufficient baseball bonhomie for one night….

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM

He was down for a while, and honestly, I don’t even think I know when he was brought back. I suspect they sneaked him into Macondo in a sealed railroad coach, the way the Germans snuck Lenin back into Russia. He can be deadly when he’s on, but he ain’t on often enough – very inconsistent. If he ever sorts it out, watchit, world!

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Similarly, you could have made the same comments about Lenin.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I would except that I find Trotsky so much more entertaining. By the way, speaking of Canadians, have you ever seen the hilarious Canadian satire The Trotsky? Great film. Genevieve Bujold has come a long way since King of Hearts.

Ah. And as for yesterday’s late interrogatory: yes, I think the Feesh would have been better now if, instead of dumping nearly everyone on the team, they had at least held onto Mark Buehrle and his dogs and Jose Reyes, gimpy knees and all. Unloading Buck and Heath Bar Bell were priorities, yes. But of course it was a salary dump, not a real trade in the sense of being intended to better the team. Scrooge McLoria. Need I say more?

8. jarathen - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I’m not saying the Angels would have won without it, but they completely blew their chances at taking a lead in the ninth inning with a completely stupid one-out hit and run that turned into a strikeout-throwout that wasn’t even close.

Also, getting beat by a soft liner through a five-man infield is pretty lame. If you’re going to put five dudes in the infield, maybe they should cover, you know, the INFIELD.

9. wilmyers09 - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM

rays are making a run

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM

If they manage to make the playoffs – though, to be fair, it smells like anyone can make the playoffs these days; maybe they should re-name them “October Madness” – it would be one of the great feelgood stories since Eyes Wide Shut.

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Huh? A friend of mine refused to see that movie because he complained that putting computer-generated heads in front of the “action” (if you catch my drift) compromised its “artistic integrity.”

I told him, having seen it, that the best thing they could have done with that movie was putting computer-generated heads in front of every stinkin’ seen from the opening credits on.

But otherwise I loved it. /s

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

“seen” Substitute “scene” Don’t ask me to explain it.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I won’t.

I would like to join you in savaging Eyes Wide Shut but Kubrick was one of my second-tier Buddhas going all the way back to The Killing (I have memorized the dueling scene from Barry Lyndon and the general’s admonition to Kirk Douglas at the end of Paths of Glory, for example) and it breaks my heart that that schmear of celluloid excrement was his final film instead of having made a film of Blood Meridian. I mean, imagine a film so awful that even a nude scene by Nicole Kidman couldn’t save it. Wow. It takes a genius to make a movie that bad.

On the other hand, J. M. Davies’ English translation of Arthur Schnitzler’s Dream Story, the novel upon which Kubrick based his major misfire, is excellent and well worth reading. One can only speculate on how much better that film might have been if he had cast, say, Guy Pearce or Christian Slater in the lead instead of the wooden Tom Cruise.

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM

You have “Paths of Glory”, “Dr. Strangelove” (a huge personal favorite) “Full Metal Jacket”, “Barry Lyndon.”, and -with some reservations “2001.”

Then you have “The Shining” and “Eyes Wide Shut.”

I suppose some slips are permissible when pursuing artistic vision.

Then there is “Clockwork Orange”, a subject I would rather not deal with. I will stick with the book in that case.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Guy Pearce >>>>>>> the enormous jerk of a sawed-off Jack Nicholson impersonator

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Few people had the ability to compose a scene or set a mood like Kubrick. What he needed for “The Shining” was Stephen King on retainer to tell him when his narrative vision was running off the tracks. Oh yeah, and the capability to tell Nicholson to shut up and read his lines.

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM

And I agree that Tom Cruise was a problem with Eyes Wide Shut. But then, there were a few others…,….

• jimeejohnson - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Jimee:

Well, I did have the excellent smoked beef bacon, lettuce and tomato on rye at Caplansky’s. I don’t believe I did eat any pork there this particular trip just past. But, for what it’s worth, I do have a loin of port marinating in wine and herbs in the fridge for barbecuing this weekend, after seasoning it and rolling it in plenty of freshly cracked peppercorns.

FYI, I do not eat commercially cured bacon. I buy uncured sliced pork side, thin for breakfast and thick for lunch/dinner/barbecuing. I mix wholemeal flour with generous amounts of lite salt, finely ground back pepper and a generous amount of fresh finely chopped rosemary (which I first warm in a dry pan until aromatic), and flour the slices of side port before placing them in a hot skillet and letting them fry in their own fat until crispy. I really can’t handle the over-sodiumized flavor of commercial bacon anymore, and of course my technique is totally free of nitrates and nitrites. Much healthier way to go. And all-out delicious, too. Try it.

I was not aware of Toronto’s glorious history as a swineyard and pork processing center, no – though the sight of Rob Ford should have wordlessly enlightened me.

• jwbiii - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I recommend Grey Russians for that.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Where, willy? To the grocery store?

I’m a Rays fan, and I thoroughly enjoyed sweeping the Borg. The Rays have made watching baseball fun for us fans again. I no longer watch a game with the anticipation of a lab rat waiting to be shocked. On the positive side, our pitching staff is doing its thing, striking out everyone with an anti-Porcello abandon. We’ve won 7 of 10. We won 5 straight. We’ve gained 5 games on the Blue Jays in a short period. All very nice. The reality check: We still leave too many RISP. We still take ourselves out of innings by TOOTBLAN too much. We give up outs. For example, Zobrist yesterday took off from 2nd on a grounder hit to the shortstop, getting himself thrown out at 3rd. Even a little leaguer knows to stay put. We swept the 2014 Yankees, not the 2009 Yankees. This year’s version is not very good. We are still 11 games under .500 looking up at everyone in the division. Now we’re heading into Detroit and KC. Detroit is a very good team and historically, we suck against them. If we can split or take 3 of 4 in Motown… I may start believing. A little. This team has sucked too much and too long this season for me to just shake off the PTSD.

An older doctor I work with reminded me of the 1973 Mets. He said, “You’re not old enough to remember them, but I was in NY when that happened, and it was unbelievable. They made it all the way to the World Series and they were only above .500 for about a day. They ended up losing to the A’s. Maybe the Rays can do the same.” I said I heard about them. The Tug McGraw, “ya gotta believe” team. I said great, so you’re saying the Rays will make it to the ALCS with a barely .500 record and lose to the Oakland A’s? :-)

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Hey, hey, guess who we play? Guess. Guess.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

:-P

Bédard vs. Scherzer. One of these things is not like the other, and I’m not talking about Scherzer’s eyes. You should spot us a couple of runs.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Maybe, but I want to wear my celebration goggles. They are heterochromial. Friendship is nice and all, but this is baseball.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Please, hon, beating us right now would be like winning a game of chess against a retarded child.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Think of it as an excuse to drink.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I need an excuse? ;-)

My poor liver this season. Oy vey.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I’m glad I started drinking before the game started. Oy vey.

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Hey, Indy. I can root for your guys to turn it all I want. But starting Astros’ cast offs will not do the job.

• raysfan1 - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Indie,
        As an older doctor you don’t work with, my comparison with a team you are too young to remember is less optimistic. It’s the 1971 Reds. The 1970 and 1972 Reds both won the NL pennant. The 1971 Reds, however, struggled all season long and never did get on track, finishing 79-83 despite having a roster with multiple future Hall of Famers.

• grumpyoleman - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Kind of sad all the whiney butts complaining that Wahoo and Redskins are offensive when they aren’t, but some jerk throws out the R word and nobody says a word about it. THAT is offensive.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM

We have different standards as to what we find offensive. I trust we are all adults here, no? If you don’t see the difference between a joke among adults and offensive caricatures, I’m not going to waste my time explaining it to you.

• grumpyoleman - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I see the difference, one is a caricature and the other is a group of people and family members that struggle pretty much every day in some way. But go ahead and gloss over something real if you want.

• indaburg - Jul 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Mountain, I’d like to introduce you to molehill. Have a great 4th of July, sir.

• indaburg - Jul 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I just wanted to let you know that I do realize my word choice was insensitive. I was annoyed by how you approached me and that is why I didn’t apologize initially (if you want to get someone to listen to you, don’t start by calling them a “jerk” or comparing it to another sensitive issue–it makes people emotional, and emotion clouds reason), but that doesn’t change my poor word choice. My apologies.

10. dink53 - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:54 AM

May have to bump up the punctuation budget. You could get your brother to sell the Social D shirt to help.

11. renaado - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Awesome win by the Braves today, Teheran pitched superb in that game. Hope this guys go on a roll for the next game.

12. nolanwiffle - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I’m beginning to sense a Beltway World Series is imminent. Washington vs. Baltimore……book it.

13. natstowngreg - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM

The Nays beat an inferior team, again. The Braves beat an inferior team, again. I detect a pattern. It’s taken until the season’s mid-point, but the NL East race we expected seems to be taking shape.

Doug Fister scuffled, but, the Nats being at home, and facing Rockies’ pitching, his teammates rallied to his support. Much good defense, on both sides. After Ryan Zimmerman made a diving stop, and threw the runner out from his knees, one reporter tweeted the suggestion that he just make every throw from his knees.

Speaking of Zimmerman, he said the right things about being pulled for defense (Espinosa to 2B, Rendon from 2B to 3B). As long as Matt has a full complement of position players, and the team keeps winning, this move will be made often. Ryan acknowledges (publicly) that the late-inning defense is better that way. This is why Ryan Zimmerman is the face of the Washington Nationals. Not the guys who get more attention, for good reasons or bad.

14. stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Well, after the heady experience of almost sweeping the Tigres over the weekend past, the Astros were handed a bucket of reality by the Mariners. Twenty-four strikeouts in three days, fourteen by their fresh-faced just-up AAA guys. One can only assume that number was as small as it was because Santana was only up for two of the games. And since the cumulative score of the three games was 28-6, I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the pitching staff bears some blame, also.

Just a reminder, dear friends. They are still in the journey. They are not at the destination.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know if the Astros are dead.

• nbjays - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:18 PM

They are just mostly dead.

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM

They’re not dead. Neither are they headed for the playoffs particularly soon.

They are somewhere in the ether in between.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

That’s my least favorite kind of chocolate. Well, besides the coconut.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Define “particularly soon.” Because they’re looking awfully good for 2016 and I certainly wouldn’t write them off for next season yet.

• stex52 - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Next season is a stretch. Some of their young talents (and I agree they are real talents) are still rather raw and only marginally ready for the big time. And it really depends in large part on when the pitching arrives. Three or four guys there are behind projections. That makes me nervous.

Gut feel alert! I think the real Astros surge starts (somewhat coincidentally, but not entirely) with the arrival at MLB of Correa. And I think the injury has set that back from much likelihood of next year.

2016 has made a fair amount of sense to me for about the last two years.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Ok – totally with you.

• raysfan1 - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Okay, now I’m wondering if it’s the WordPress bad word filter blocking my comments…
      Enrique Hernandez’ nickname is K i k e’, pronounced key-kay’. I’ve tried posting 3 times using his nickname, and it hasn’t worked.

Anyway, stex, at least Hernandez is off to a hot start. He got his first MLB homer yesterday. (That it got no mention here before now must be a pro-Mookie bias!)

Also, the manager really should have pulled Peacock a little earlier in the 6th yesterday. He had already thrown a couple balls in the dirt, hit Cano, and clearly lost the strike zone before the wild pitch. Other than that implosion, the Astros staff actually pitched pretty well yesterday.

15. Tyree Studio - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Give him a few more games and Raul Ibanez will pass Hosmer and Butler in homeruns.

Vargas has been a good signing for KC so far.

16. APBA Guy - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Well, I have to compliment Historio for not gloating too much after the decidedly one-sided sweep of the Beloved A’s by her tigres. And thank whomever that the A’s are no longer in Detroit. One more stellar pitching performance by a non-A would have us A’s fans in a 2007-era depression.

Especially since Jesse Chavez, so goo in April and May, is clearly fading, his 8.10 ERA over the last 2 starts, coupled with his 3-4 MPH velo drop, indicate a tired arm on a converted reliever. His 2014 IP total of 103 is more than his total for the last 3 years combined, which does not bode well for July-September.

Things don’t get any easier for the A’s as the first place Blue jays come to town, though it will be fun to see how Edwin and Joey Bats deal with the spacious ballpark. Add the pressure from playing a second consecutive division leader to the pressure coming from the wild-card holders of the moment Angels and Seattle, and the A’s must be feeling decidedly uncomfortable, especially as the suspicion that Chavez’s issue could be a preview of Gray and Kazmir somewhere around mid-to-late August as their innings total climb past their previous highs.

And as tough as Detroit’s pitching is right now, you do not want to see Seattle in Safeco right now: The King, Iwakuma, Tijuan Walker, and Chris Young. Very unpleasant.

• Shayna - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Pressure? Blue Jays eat pressure on toast. You may have noticed our pattern this year: we have won or at least split series with the division leaders we’ve faced–Brewers, Tigers, As. Who has knocked the pins out from under us? The ChiSox, the KC Royals (and not the good version), the Yankees, the Rays. We play up to, or unfortunately down to, our opponents. So I’m hoping that the A’s are still atop the west tonight, because then we have a shot.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

We are on the same plan. We just avoid being swept by the Astros — ASTROS — but then sweep the A’s. It’s a head-scratcher.

• nbjays - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I’m thinking EE and Jose are not worrying too much about a spacious ballpark. It’s not like they just hit wall-scrapers. If they can’t hit it out, then a double will do nicely. Spacious ballyards work both ways. Should be a good series.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I did, in fact, listen to the game at work. The first couple of innings had me on edge, but then it got better. I did not expect a sweep. As I noted before, I was just hoping to avoid being swept. I was afraid to relax and not reflexively cringe at the words “Crisp” and “Donaldson.” It’s hard to give up responses once you’ve become conditioned to them. I have nothing but respect for the A’s — and, frankly, the challenge makes the win more satisfying. Sorry. Best of luck with the Maple Leafs.

17. jimeejohnson - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM

This is the best blog on nbc sports: you get baseball, food, and cinema all for the same price. Thanks to all for leaving the hate behind and focusing on what counts: the good life. Happy July 4th to all.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Literature, too.

• nbjays - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM

And a good healthy helping of sarcasm, self-deprecating humour and good-natured ribbing. Happy 4th to you and all our south-of-the-border friends.

• happytwinsfan - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:41 PM

don’t forget your north of the border friends

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2853)