Jul 3, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post brings word this evening Gonzalez hopes to rejoin the Rockies prior to the All-Star break. It’s worth noting that he was just cleared for live batting practice yesterday as he makes his way back from surgery to remove a tumor from his left index finger, so his timetable might be a tad on the optimistic side given that the Rockies finish the first half on July 13. At the very least, it sounds like he has a good chance to be ready when the second half begins on July 18.
Gonzalez wasn’t his usual self prior to surgery last month, batting just .255/.307/.449 with eight home runs and 31 RBI over 52 games. As the injuries have piled up for the Rockies, they have predictably faded in a big way. They are 8-22 since the start of June and currently find themselves at 36-49 on the year, 11 games back in the NL West and just 1.5 games ahead of the Diamondbacks for last place.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)