Jul 3, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post brings word this evening Gonzalez hopes to rejoin the Rockies prior to the All-Star break. It’s worth noting that he was just cleared for live batting practice yesterday as he makes his way back from surgery to remove a tumor from his left index finger, so his timetable might be a tad on the optimistic side given that the Rockies finish the first half on July 13. At the very least, it sounds like he has a good chance to be ready when the second half begins on July 18.
Gonzalez wasn’t his usual self prior to surgery last month, batting just .255/.307/.449 with eight home runs and 31 RBI over 52 games. As the injuries have piled up for the Rockies, they have predictably faded in a big way. They are 8-22 since the start of June and currently find themselves at 36-49 on the year, 11 games back in the NL West and just 1.5 games ahead of the Diamondbacks for last place.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 10
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)