Jul 3, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post brings word this evening Gonzalez hopes to rejoin the Rockies prior to the All-Star break. It’s worth noting that he was just cleared for live batting practice yesterday as he makes his way back from surgery to remove a tumor from his left index finger, so his timetable might be a tad on the optimistic side given that the Rockies finish the first half on July 13. At the very least, it sounds like he has a good chance to be ready when the second half begins on July 18.
Gonzalez wasn’t his usual self prior to surgery last month, batting just .255/.307/.449 with eight home runs and 31 RBI over 52 games. As the injuries have piled up for the Rockies, they have predictably faded in a big way. They are 8-22 since the start of June and currently find themselves at 36-49 on the year, 11 games back in the NL West and just 1.5 games ahead of the Diamondbacks for last place.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)