Jul 3, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Dan Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said following tonight’s game that the MRI showed swelling in Sabathia’s knee. A visit to Dr. James Andrews will determine the next step.
6:42 p.m. ET: Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia struggled in his second minor league rehab start yesterday and now he has suffered a setback with his right knee.
According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said earlier this evening that Sabathia will go for another MRI after he experienced renewed swelling in his knee. His rehab is on hold pending the results.
Sabathia last pitched in a major league game on May 10. “Degenerative changes” were soon found in his knee, so he received a stem cell injection in an effort to help the recovery process. The Yankees were hoping that his recent progress would put him on track to return around midseason, but that scenario obviously appears in doubt right now.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)