Jul 3, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Dan Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said following tonight’s game that the MRI showed swelling in Sabathia’s knee. A visit to Dr. James Andrews will determine the next step.
6:42 p.m. ET: Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia struggled in his second minor league rehab start yesterday and now he has suffered a setback with his right knee.
According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said earlier this evening that Sabathia will go for another MRI after he experienced renewed swelling in his knee. His rehab is on hold pending the results.
Sabathia last pitched in a major league game on May 10. “Degenerative changes” were soon found in his knee, so he received a stem cell injection in an effort to help the recovery process. The Yankees were hoping that his recent progress would put him on track to return around midseason, but that scenario obviously appears in doubt right now.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)