Jul 3, 2014, 11:20 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Dan Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said following tonight’s game that the MRI showed swelling in Sabathia’s knee. A visit to Dr. James Andrews will determine the next step.
6:42 p.m. ET: Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia struggled in his second minor league rehab start yesterday and now he has suffered a setback with his right knee.
According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said earlier this evening that Sabathia will go for another MRI after he experienced renewed swelling in his knee. His rehab is on hold pending the results.
Sabathia last pitched in a major league game on May 10. “Degenerative changes” were soon found in his knee, so he received a stem cell injection in an effort to help the recovery process. The Yankees were hoping that his recent progress would put him on track to return around midseason, but that scenario obviously appears in doubt right now.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)