Jul 3, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Dan Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said following tonight’s game that the MRI showed swelling in Sabathia’s knee. A visit to Dr. James Andrews will determine the next step.
6:42 p.m. ET: Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia struggled in his second minor league rehab start yesterday and now he has suffered a setback with his right knee.
According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said earlier this evening that Sabathia will go for another MRI after he experienced renewed swelling in his knee. His rehab is on hold pending the results.
Sabathia last pitched in a major league game on May 10. “Degenerative changes” were soon found in his knee, so he received a stem cell injection in an effort to help the recovery process. The Yankees were hoping that his recent progress would put him on track to return around midseason, but that scenario obviously appears in doubt right now.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)