CC Sabathia struggled in his rehab start at Double-A

Jul 3, 2014, 11:51 AM EST

CC Sabathia AP

CC Sabathia made his second minor-league rehab start yesterday at Double-A, allowing five runs in 3.2 innings, but afterward the Yankees left-hander seemed pleased with how his injured knee felt.

Austin Laymance of MLB.com reports that Sabathia’s fastball clocked in at 90-91 miles per hour and topped out at 94 mph. As for everything else, here was Sabathia’s review:

The secondary pitches weren’t that good, but my fastball I felt was coming off pretty good. I feel good health-wise, so I’ll be ready to go. I need to work on my secondary pitches a little more. Changeup was cutting, slider wasn’t as sharp as I wanted it to be, so we’ll do some work on those things. But overall, I felt pretty good.

Sabathia threw 55 pitches and last started a big-league game in early May, so setting aside his uneven performance he’ll need more time in the minors to build up arm strength before potentially rejoining the Yankees’ rotation.

1. norvturnersneck - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Start eating full boxes of cereal again. That may help you bring back your velocity.

2. pete2112 - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Just about when you think the Yankees have hit bottom, CC has a rough start in the minors. Not to say CC coming back is going to all of the sudden fix all the problems this team has, but they were counting on him bouncing back this season. Like Tex, I think CC has been continually breaking down and it’s just going to keep getting tougher for them to stay healthy.

The one thing I’ll say about CC, there would be no 2009 championship without his great post season performances of that season, so he did what he came here to do. It’s just unfortunate that his contract was so many years.

3. whatacrocker - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:49 PM

A Yankee who is even more broken down than Jeter? Didn’t think that was possible.

• pete2112 - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I wouldn’t call Jeter broken down. He’s had a fairly healthy career with the exception of the broken bone. I think he’s just slowed down as most people his age do, which is why he should have moved to LF or even 3rd base at some point a few seasons ago. He’s hitting well this season or at least no worse than a lot of them.

• 4cornersfan - Aug 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM

There is always some snot-nose out there who will make deprecating remarks about a fine athlete or anybody who has had success in his life. There is little doubt that Jeter will retire as one of the best in the game and go on to more success, he’s that kind of person. This guy will still be living in Mom’s basement.

4. kastout11 - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I like CC, but I think he is really close to the end. I think he might have enough gas in the tank to have a productive year or two. The Yank are in big trouble. They are not relevant this year, and probably won’t be for at least 4 or 5 more years. They need to do what the Cubs are doing now. Start the rebuild now, be patient, and after they build up their farm system, they can be relevant again.

• pete2112 - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I totally agree with you on everything except for the Cubs reference. They’ve been rebuilding since 1908 and even when they have talent they seem to squander their chances. I think the Yankees and their fans are going to have to go through a bunch of bad/lean seasons sort of like the late 80’s and early 90’s and hope they can get some young talent coming up through the system. I’m not saying we’re going to get Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, etc., all over again but they need to start developing some core players that they can build around along with smart and sensible free agent signings. I think it would be a mistake to trade away any young prospects this season at the trade deadline as I just don’t see the sense in making a push for the playoffs even with the weak AL east. They need to start looking at the future and lose the whole we need to win now attitude. It’s just not happening with this team.

5. sportsfan18 - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM

C.C. has been a warrior, a very good pitcher for a long time. Different players age differently.

It isn’t because he’s a bum, doesn’t care or try.

Much respect to C.C.

I would have signed for that much guaranteed money too… who wouldn’t?

That was on the team, not C.C.

Odds were NEVER in the teams favor that he’d produce all 8 seasons. The Yanks got four very good seasons and they are now in the bad last four seasons of his deal…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester