Jul 3, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Masahiro Tanaka became the first pitcher in the majors to reach 12 wins after the Yankees defeated the Twins by the score of 7-4 tonight at Target Field, but he did so while failing to notch a quality start for the first time in MLB.
Tanaka gave up four earned runs and nine hits (both career-highs) and struck out just three batters (a career-low) over seven innings. And so, his quality start streak will end at 16. Still, it was the longest such streak to begin a career since Steve Rogers also had 16 straight quality starts with the Expos in 1973.
The win snapped a five-game losing streak for the Yankees and brought them back to an even 42-42 for the year. Carlos Beltran launched a three-run homer in the victory while Zelous Wheeler homered and singled in his major league debut.
Tanaka began tonight’s action tied with Felix Hernandez for the American League ERA lead at 2.10, but he’s now sitting at 2.27 for the year. You could make a strong case for either to start the All-Star Game for the American League, but Tanaka’s schedule might render the debate moot. He’s currently lined up to start the final game before the All-Star break next Sunday.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)