Jul 3, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
O’Flaherty is coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, which is why he managed only a two-year, $7 million contract from the A’s as a free agent despite posting a 1.99 ERA in 250 innings for the Braves.
He’s exactly 12 months removed from surgery, so the A’s may ease him into the bullpen mix with a middle relief role, but if healthy O’Flaherty is a late inning-caliber southpaw with the ability to shut down left-handed and right-handed hitters.
While rehabbing in the minors O’Flaherty made seven appearances at Triple-A with a 4.32 ERA and 5/3 K/BB ratio in 8.1 innings.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)