Jul 3, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
O’Flaherty is coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, which is why he managed only a two-year, $7 million contract from the A’s as a free agent despite posting a 1.99 ERA in 250 innings for the Braves.
He’s exactly 12 months removed from surgery, so the A’s may ease him into the bullpen mix with a middle relief role, but if healthy O’Flaherty is a late inning-caliber southpaw with the ability to shut down left-handed and right-handed hitters.
While rehabbing in the minors O’Flaherty made seven appearances at Triple-A with a 4.32 ERA and 5/3 K/BB ratio in 8.1 innings.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 5
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 61
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 17
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 7
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 60
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)