The Bryan Stow jury is deadlocked

Jul 3, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Giants Fan Attacked AP

Closing arguments were given in the Bryan Stow-Dodgers civil case last week, and it has been in the jury’s hands for five days. But they’ve decided absolutely nothing on those five days. From Courthouse News Service:

The Los Angeles Superior Court Information Office said in a statement Wednesday:

“The jurors in the matter of Bryan Stow v. L.A. Dodgers have announced that they are having difficulty reaching a verdict. They were instructed to return to the jury room and continue deliberations.”

The case is in its fifth day of deliberations. The jury has yet to answer a single question on the verdict form, Los Angeles City News Service reported Wednesday.

The first question on the jury form is whether or not the Dodgers are liable. If they can’t get nine of 12 jurors to answer “yes” to that, then the case is over and Stow does not recover. If they can’t reach any decision whatsoever and remain deadlocked, a mistrial could be declared.

1. drewsylvania - Jul 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM

How hard can this be?

U.S. judicial system is broken in so many ways.

• wjarvis - Jul 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I agree that the US judicial system has a ton of flaws as does the medical system.

Everyone can agree, I think, that Bryan Stow was wrongly injured with little to no fault of his own. However, he now will have significant medical bills for the rest his life and limited employment opportunities. Whether responsible or not, the Dodgers are the only ones involved that have the ability to pay for the necessary treatment.

Personally, I don’t think the Dodgers are responsible. I don’t really know how to reconcile that with the fact that Stow also shouldn’t be responsible either and if this lawsuit fails he’ll have to be.

• daveitsgood - Jul 3, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Can you elaborate on the details of the case and what claims + burden of proof the plantiff’s lawyers provided to help you reach a decision better than the jury that was in the courtroom every day?

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Where did he “reach a decision better than the jury that was in the courtroom every day”? He’s just speculating and makes no bones about that. Sounds to me like you’re just constructing a straw man here.

• daveitsgood - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM

OG – His initial comment was “how hard can this be? U.S. judicial system is system is broken in so many ways”

To which I interpreted as he felt the case was cut n dry and that the Jury certainly should have come to a decision. That said, I asked what information he had that the jury didn’t to make such a statement that assumes he’s in a better or easier position to render a verdict. Perhaps I misinterpreted the statement and did jump to conclusions with what he was saying or maybe he meant what he said and how I interpreted it was correct. The jury is still out (ending with puns helps to make your argument).

• drewsylvania - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM

If you know anything about juries, lawyers, and judges, you know that juries are dominated by fools, lawyers are lawyers, and judges are bought.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM

@dave – my apology. I thought you were responding to wjarvis.

2. soleman50 - Jul 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Not trying to put a 34yr old down, I have one.but is this Jury full of 4yr olds & not one person in there capable of moving it along!!

3. soleman50 - Jul 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Sorry meant 4yr old not 34

4. hcf95688 - Jul 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Glad to see the jury letting the process play out and responding to the facts of the case, rather than relying on sensationalism.

5. jss1330 - Jul 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I can’t believe Colletti hasn’t already signed him

6. titansbro - Jul 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM

If the Dodgers do not pay, then it will likely be Stow’s family who has to pay for his medical care. And if they can’t, it’s going to be the taxpayers.

The animals who did this should never be released from prison.

• drewsylvania - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:39 PM

In other words, everyone will pay *except* for those responsible.

What a great judicial system we live in.

• ezthinking - Jul 4, 2014 at 12:41 AM

No, the judicial system is attempting to prevent what you’re worried about.

7. tmc602014 - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I’ve been in lots of parking lots after lots of games, and while the occasional security person is around they are not always around. They usually aren’t on public streets, either. I don’t know all the facts, and I’d LOVE McCourt to have to pay through the nose, but I may have felt differently if I was on the jury. And to contradict the first poster: a decision (or lack) you disagree with is an indicator that the system does work. It’s a decision (or lack) based on events in the courtroom and not stories on Channel 5. Outside the courtroom, 25 years ago, after voting with my fellow members to convict a man to 20 years in prison, the defense lawyer asked to speak with us. He berated us for not considering a point – and I asked him, “Why didn’t you mention that yesterday if you wanted us to consider it? If it was a bad decision, it’s on you!”

8. crillbill - Jul 4, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Didn’t this guy pick a fight during the game and then found another one after the game?

Was he drunk?

I don’t see how dodgers are liable here. If you are looking for a fight even in church you will find one.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate