Jul 3, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Hat tip to Chris Jaffe for tweeting this around, but get a load of the Rays’ lineup today:
Rays Thursday lineup in Detroit w/Vince Belnome set to make MLB debut. pic.twitter.com/v1nAfCgfmm
— Todd Kalas (@TampaBayTK) July 3, 2014
Those of you around my age or older will recognize those position numbers as the title and chorus to a particularly annoying pop song from the early 80s. At least if you count the DH as “0″ for position purposes. For Joe Maddon’s sake here’s hoping that lineup isn’t a one-hit-wonder too.
In other news, seeing this led me to look up Tommy Tutone on Wikipedia. Things I learned: (1) Tommy Tutone was the name of the band, not the singer; and (2) someone from Tommy Tutone clearly wrote the band’s Wikipedia page because no one on Earth knows that much about Tommy Tutone other than the dudes from the band.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39