Jul 3, 2014, 9:52 PM EDT
Good news for people who like fun things. According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is considering selecting Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig for the Home Run Derby on July 14 at Target Field. Tulowitzki is the captain for the National League squad and will pick four players to join him in the competition.
“He’s on the list,” Tulowitzki said. “He’s someone that has a good chance. I’m not going to sit here and say he’s one of the guys I’m going to select, but he’s right up there with the top.”
Tulowitzki spoke highly of Puig’s raw power.
“I think, as you guys from L.A. know, he has tremendous power,” Tulowitzki said. “I’ve seen his BP a couple times. He’s definitely on my list. I’ll probably talk to him here in this series, first of all, see if he’s interested, which, hopefully, he is and we’ll go from there.”
Puig has said he would take part in the competition if he’s invited by Tulowitzki.
This would be awesome, though we would likely have to put up with lengthy delays between swings on account of all the bat-flipping. Still, I think most of us can live with that if that means Puig will participate. Giancarlo Stanton, who leads the National League with 21 homers, is already on board.
On a somewhat related note, Puig hasn’t homered since way back on May 28.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)