Jul 3, 2014, 9:52 PM EST
Good news for people who like fun things. According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is considering selecting Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig for the Home Run Derby on July 14 at Target Field. Tulowitzki is the captain for the National League squad and will pick four players to join him in the competition.
“He’s on the list,” Tulowitzki said. “He’s someone that has a good chance. I’m not going to sit here and say he’s one of the guys I’m going to select, but he’s right up there with the top.”
Tulowitzki spoke highly of Puig’s raw power.
“I think, as you guys from L.A. know, he has tremendous power,” Tulowitzki said. “I’ve seen his BP a couple times. He’s definitely on my list. I’ll probably talk to him here in this series, first of all, see if he’s interested, which, hopefully, he is and we’ll go from there.”
Puig has said he would take part in the competition if he’s invited by Tulowitzki.
This would be awesome, though we would likely have to put up with lengthy delays between swings on account of all the bat-flipping. Still, I think most of us can live with that if that means Puig will participate. Giancarlo Stanton, who leads the National League with 21 homers, is already on board.
On a somewhat related note, Puig hasn’t homered since way back on May 28.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 33
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (95)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)