Jul 3, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Chicago is on the hook for the entirety of his $4.25 million contract, so now that Downs is available for the MLB minimum salary expect the 38-year-old to draw some interest as a free agent.
He struggled with the White Sox, but Downs had a 2.49 ERA in 43 innings for the Braves and Angels last season and posted a sub-3.25 ERA every season from 2007-2013.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)