Jul 4, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Following the latest setback in CC Sabathia‘s recovery from knee problems Yankees manager Joe Girardi admitted to reporters that it’s “fair to say” the former Cy Young winner won’t pitch again this season.
That comes after news that Sabathia needed his knee drained of fluid and is scheduled to be examined by Dr. James Andrews following a minor-league rehab start in which he struggled on the mound and then later experienced knee swelling.
Sabathia is being paid $23 million this season and is owed at least another $23 million in 2015 and $25 million in 2016, plus a $5 million buyout of a vesting 2018 option. Dating back to the beginning of last season he has a 4.87 ERA in 40 starts, the last of which came on May 10.
Microfracture surgery may be required for Sabathia, who’ll turn 34 years old later this month.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)