Jul 4, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Starter Jon Lester has told the Red Sox to hold off on extension discussions until after the season, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports. Lester says he wants to focus on pitching and on his team, more or less saying that the contract discussions are distracting.
The Red Sox offered Lester a contract extension worth $70 million in early April, but it was rejected.
Lester, 30, can become a free agent after the season though it is believed that Lester prefers to remain with the Red Sox. The lefty has a 2.92 ERA with a 115/29 K/BB ratio in 114 innings spanning 17 starts this season.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 351
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (354)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)