Jul 4, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz has spent all season at Triple-A due to struggles coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, but the Rangers feel he’s ready for the majors and called up the once-dominant closer.
Feliz racked up 31 strikeouts in 28 innings at Triple-A, but he also walked eight batters and served up six homers on the way to a 3.14 ERA. That includes eight consecutive scoreless outings in which Feliz held opponents to a .071 batting average and nine strikeouts compared to one walk.
Odds are Feliz will probably be eased into the bullpen mix with some low-leverage work initially, but he could find himself in a late-inning role eventually.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 5
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)