Jul 4, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz has spent all season at Triple-A due to struggles coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, but the Rangers feel he’s ready for the majors and called up the once-dominant closer.
Feliz racked up 31 strikeouts in 28 innings at Triple-A, but he also walked eight batters and served up six homers on the way to a 3.14 ERA. That includes eight consecutive scoreless outings in which Feliz held opponents to a .071 batting average and nine strikeouts compared to one walk.
Odds are Feliz will probably be eased into the bullpen mix with some low-leverage work initially, but he could find himself in a late-inning role eventually.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)