Jul 4, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz has spent all season at Triple-A due to struggles coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, but the Rangers feel he’s ready for the majors and called up the once-dominant closer.
Feliz racked up 31 strikeouts in 28 innings at Triple-A, but he also walked eight batters and served up six homers on the way to a 3.14 ERA. That includes eight consecutive scoreless outings in which Feliz held opponents to a .071 batting average and nine strikeouts compared to one walk.
Odds are Feliz will probably be eased into the bullpen mix with some low-leverage work initially, but he could find himself in a late-inning role eventually.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)