Jul 4, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
ESPN’s Jim Bowden reports that the Blue Jays have heavily scouted Martin Prado, Aaron Hill, and Chase Headley. The Jays could use an upgrade at second base as they’ve been relying on the light-hitting Munenori Kawasaki. They could also use an upgrade at third base, having recently lost Brett Lawrie to a broken finger. At the very least, they could use a right-handed hitter to platoon with Juan Francisco.
All three hitters, however, are having poor seasons. Prado and Hill have a .673 and .653 OPS for the Diamondbacks, respectively. Headley has a .605 OPS for the Padres. Headley is earning just over $10.5 million and can venture into free agency after the season. Prado is owed $11 million for this season as well as in each of the next two seasons. Hill is earning $11 million this season and $12 million in 2015-16.
The Jays enter Friday’s action at 47-40 in a virtual tie with the Orioles for first place in the AL East. They lead the third-place Yankees by 3.5 games.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)