Jul 5, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The Blue Jays have claimed outfielder Cole Gillespie off of waivers from the Mariners, Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reports. Gillespie was designated for assignment by the Mariners on Friday. To make room on the roster for Gillespie, the Jays have designated outfielder Kenny Wilson for assignment.
Gillespie, 30, slashed .254/.312/.324 with one home run and five RBI in 78 plate appearances in the big leagues with the Mariners this season. He started the season with Triple-A Tacoma and posted great numbers over his first 16 games, which earned him the call-up to the majors.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)