Jul 5, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Brian McCann was a late scratch from this afternoon’s game against the Twins due to a sore left foot. Sweeny Murti of WFAN.com passes along word that X-rays came back negative and he’s considered day-to-day.
McCann has been dealing with the foot issue for a couple of days now and was given the day off yesterday. The hope was that he would be ready to play today, but the Yankees will give him some more time to heal.
Signed to a five-year, $85 million contract over the winter, McCann recently described his first half-season with the Yankees as “horrible.” It’s hard to argue with him, as he’s hitting .224 with a .656 OPS over 78 games. Oddly enough, the foot issue surfaced after he began taking extra batting practice to get on track offensively.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 154
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39