Jul 5, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Garcia will indeed undergo thoracic outlet surgery. He’s done for the year.
1:25 p.m. ET: Jaime Garcia landed on the disabled list late last month with more shoulder issues and now Brian Stull of STLBaseballWeekly.com reports that he is facing a decision on whether to undergo thoracic outlet surgery.
Garcia, 27, was limited to just nine starts with the Cardinals last season due to surgery to repair a 30-40 percent tear in his labrum. He managed to return this May and posted a 4.12 ERA over seven starts prior to being placed on the disabled list with what was termed as a left shoulder inflammation. Thoracic outlet surgery, which usually involves having a rib removed to alleviate a nerve issue, would essentially end his season.
Garcia is owed $9.25 million next season while his contract includes club options for 2016 and 2017. With a 3.50 ERA over nearly 600 innings in the majors, he has been effective when healthy, but those days have been few and far between recently.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 46
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (237)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)