Jul 5, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
The Pirates have claimed infielder Dean Anna off of waivers from the Yankees, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports. The Yankees had designated Anna for assignment on Thursday.
Anna, 27, made his major league debut on April 4 and stuck with the Yankees through April 22 before he was optioned back to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. In 25 plate appearances, Anna posted a .518 OPS with one home run and three runs batted in. His numbers are similarly underwhelming at Triple-A this season, but he performed well last season as part of the Padres organization, posting an .892 OPS with a league-leading .331 average.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)