Jul 6, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Cardinals southpaw Jaime Garcia has made just 16 starts since the beginning of the 2013 campaign and is scheduled to have season-ending surgery on his shoulder this week for thoracic outlet syndrome.
Those facts alone would be ample reason for John Mozeliak and the Cardinals to feel disappointed, but it sounds like a lack of communication from the 27-year-old left-hander is what’s truly bothering the normally calm and calculated general manager.
MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch has the story …
The consensus has been that Jaime Garcia’s trip to the disabled list stemmed from issues with his surgically repaired left shoulder, but the dejected left-hander admitted Saturday he is dealing with nerve issues and was strongly considering surgery.
That was news to Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, who after learning of Garcia’s comments, held an impromptu session with reporters shortly before first pitch to announce that the lefty would meet with Dr. Robert Thompson in St. Louis on Monday as a precursor to season-ending surgery.
“I sound frustrated, look frustrated. I’m frustrated,” Mozeliak said. “You try to be patient with people, and I think this organization does an amazing job protecting players. Certainly we would have loved to have heard from him.”
“To go from DL to this, it’s been rather quick,” Mozeliak added. “In terms of where we were yesterday to where we are today, it does seem rather dramatic and quick. Obviously he internalized this and decided to make a decision. If this is something he feels is his only option, then obviously he has to do it. It still doesn’t excuse the fact that he could have notified us a little bit more. … From a medical staff, we felt like there were some other options he could consider before taking this step. Obviously, again, he chose to go down this path.”
Garcia is making $7.75 million this season, owed $9.25 million next season, and carries club options for 2016 ($11.5 million) and 2017 ($12 million). He may have already thrown his last pitch in a St. Louis uniform.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)