Jul 6, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Cardinals southpaw Jaime Garcia has made just 16 starts since the beginning of the 2013 campaign and is scheduled to have season-ending surgery on his shoulder this week for thoracic outlet syndrome.
Those facts alone would be ample reason for John Mozeliak and the Cardinals to feel disappointed, but it sounds like a lack of communication from the 27-year-old left-hander is what’s truly bothering the normally calm and calculated general manager.
MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch has the story …
The consensus has been that Jaime Garcia’s trip to the disabled list stemmed from issues with his surgically repaired left shoulder, but the dejected left-hander admitted Saturday he is dealing with nerve issues and was strongly considering surgery.
That was news to Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, who after learning of Garcia’s comments, held an impromptu session with reporters shortly before first pitch to announce that the lefty would meet with Dr. Robert Thompson in St. Louis on Monday as a precursor to season-ending surgery.
“I sound frustrated, look frustrated. I’m frustrated,” Mozeliak said. “You try to be patient with people, and I think this organization does an amazing job protecting players. Certainly we would have loved to have heard from him.”
“To go from DL to this, it’s been rather quick,” Mozeliak added. “In terms of where we were yesterday to where we are today, it does seem rather dramatic and quick. Obviously he internalized this and decided to make a decision. If this is something he feels is his only option, then obviously he has to do it. It still doesn’t excuse the fact that he could have notified us a little bit more. … From a medical staff, we felt like there were some other options he could consider before taking this step. Obviously, again, he chose to go down this path.”
Garcia is making $7.75 million this season, owed $9.25 million next season, and carries club options for 2016 ($11.5 million) and 2017 ($12 million). He may have already thrown his last pitch in a St. Louis uniform.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 78
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 125
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)