Jul 6, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Cardinals southpaw Jaime Garcia has made just 16 starts since the beginning of the 2013 campaign and is scheduled to have season-ending surgery on his shoulder this week for thoracic outlet syndrome.
Those facts alone would be ample reason for John Mozeliak and the Cardinals to feel disappointed, but it sounds like a lack of communication from the 27-year-old left-hander is what’s truly bothering the normally calm and calculated general manager.
MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch has the story …
The consensus has been that Jaime Garcia’s trip to the disabled list stemmed from issues with his surgically repaired left shoulder, but the dejected left-hander admitted Saturday he is dealing with nerve issues and was strongly considering surgery.
That was news to Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, who after learning of Garcia’s comments, held an impromptu session with reporters shortly before first pitch to announce that the lefty would meet with Dr. Robert Thompson in St. Louis on Monday as a precursor to season-ending surgery.
“I sound frustrated, look frustrated. I’m frustrated,” Mozeliak said. “You try to be patient with people, and I think this organization does an amazing job protecting players. Certainly we would have loved to have heard from him.”
“To go from DL to this, it’s been rather quick,” Mozeliak added. “In terms of where we were yesterday to where we are today, it does seem rather dramatic and quick. Obviously he internalized this and decided to make a decision. If this is something he feels is his only option, then obviously he has to do it. It still doesn’t excuse the fact that he could have notified us a little bit more. … From a medical staff, we felt like there were some other options he could consider before taking this step. Obviously, again, he chose to go down this path.”
Garcia is making $7.75 million this season, owed $9.25 million next season, and carries club options for 2016 ($11.5 million) and 2017 ($12 million). He may have already thrown his last pitch in a St. Louis uniform.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)