Jul 6, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
Clint Barmes said he has a Grade 3 adductor (groin) sprain. He’s going to be out 4-6 weeks
— Travis Sawchik (@Sawchik_Trib) July 6, 2014
Barmes suffered that injury Saturday during pregame batting practice and was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning. This could mean more playing time at shortstop for Josh Harrison, who has been in limbo somewhat since second baseman Neil Walker returned from an appendectomy. Barmes has hit just .239/.320/.284 in 42 games this season as Jordy Mercer‘s primary backup at short.
The Pirates finished off a three-game sweep of the visiting Phillies on Sunday afternoon and have moved to within 4 1/2 games of the first-place Brewers in the National League Central standings.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69