Jul 6, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
The Blue Jays were victims of what appeared to be an incorrect call at the plate in the eighth inning of Saturday night’s game against the Athletics. With Melky Cabrera on first base, Jose Bautista doubled down the left field line. Cabrera motored around the bases, heading home in an attempt to cut the Athletics’ lead to 3-2.
Left fielder Craig Gentry hit shortstop Jed Lowrie on the fly, and Lowrie made a quick turn and throw to catcher Derek Norris. Norris swiped, but Cabrera appeared to slide under the tag. Home plate umpire Bill Miller called him out. Cabrera beckoned manager John Gibbons to challenge the call, and so the play was reviewed. Replays from various angles seemed rather clear that the tag was never made, but the call was not overturned.
After the game, Bautista called the replay system “a joke” to the media, as the Jays have been victims of the replay system not working as intended several times. Via Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi:
“This whole replay thing has become a joke in my eyes. I think they should just ban it, they should just get rid of it, I don’t really understand the purpose of it, but getting the right call on the field is not the purpose. That’s pretty obvious and evident. I don’t know what kind of agenda the people that are doing the replays are on, what their plan is, what their purpose is, who they’re looking after. But obviously getting the right call on the field is not what they’re doing.”
Here’s the video of the controversial play, which includes multiple replay angles:
Bautista has not yet been reprimanded for his comments, but he likely will have to pay a fine. He certainly is not alone in his feelings on how the replay system has worked thus far.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 33
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 45
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)