Jul 6, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports is hearing that Reds first baseman Joey Votto is expected to return to the 15-day disabled list with a strained left quad. It’s the same injury that forced Votto to the disabled list for 25 days between May 16 and June 10.
Votto has been slumping at the plate, posting a .587 OPS with no home runs dating back to June 20. The 30-year-old, who has led the league in on-base percentage in each of the last four seasons, is having the worst offensive season of his career, slashing .255/.390/.409 with six home runs and 23 RBI.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)