Jul 6, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
From beat writer Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star comes word that the Royals have agreed to terms on a major league contract with left-handed reliever Scott Downs, who will join the big league bullpen immediately. Casey Coleman was optioned to Triple-A Omaha to clear a 25-man roster spot.
Downs got released by the White Sox late last week after posting a rough 6.08 ERA and 1.65 WHIP over 23 2/3 innings. The veteran southpaw had a shiny 2.49 ERA in 43 1/3 innings last season between the Angels and Braves, holding left-handed hitters to a .259/.333/.296 slash line.
The 38-year-old Downs may have a little something left in the tank.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69