Jul 6, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
From beat writer Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star comes word that the Royals have agreed to terms on a major league contract with left-handed reliever Scott Downs, who will join the big league bullpen immediately. Casey Coleman was optioned to Triple-A Omaha to clear a 25-man roster spot.
Downs got released by the White Sox late last week after posting a rough 6.08 ERA and 1.65 WHIP over 23 2/3 innings. The veteran southpaw had a shiny 2.49 ERA in 43 1/3 innings last season between the Angels and Braves, holding left-handed hitters to a .259/.333/.296 slash line.
The 38-year-old Downs may have a little something left in the tank.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)