Jul 6, 2014, 8:58 AM EST
Starter Aaron Harang was far from dominant and Andrelton Simmons made a rare pair of ugly errors at shortstop, but the Braves produced 10 runs on 14 hits Saturday to beat the Diamondbacks. It was the ninth win in a row for Atlanta — currently the top dog in the National League East by 1 1/2 games.
Simmons made up for his defensive miscues by tallying four RBI and left fielder Justin Upton slugged a two-run homer. Even center fielder B.J. Upton got in on the act, going 2-for-5 with two runs scored.
The Braves will be looking for their 10th consecutive victory on Sunday afternoon and a three-game sweep of the visiting Diamondbacks. Alex Wood is on the bump.
Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …
Orioles 2, Red Sox 3 (Game 1)
Mariners 3, White Sox 2 (14 innings)
Yankees 1, Twins 2 (11 innings)
Giants 5, Padres 3 (10 innings)
Orioles 7, Red Sox 4 (Game 2)
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)