Jul 6, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, citing a press release issued by the city of Kingsport, Tennessee, reports that two Mets minor leaguers were arrested for drag racing at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour early Friday morning. The two were 19-year-old outfielder Wuilmer Becerra and 20-year-old outfielder Vicente Lupo. Drag racing is a Class B misdemeanor offense.
Kingsport is home to the Mets’ rookie league team in the Appalachian League. In 35 plate appearances, Lupo was slashing .194/.286/.290 with a solo home run, his only extra-base hit and RBI. Becerra was slashing .250/.340/.375 with a home run and six runs batted in.
The Mets acquired Becerra in the R.A. Dickey trade along with Noah Syndergaard, Travis d’Arnaud, and John Buck. Lupo was signed as an international free agent in July 2010, ranking 25th on Baseball America’s list of international prospects that year.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)