Jul 6, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, citing a press release issued by the city of Kingsport, Tennessee, reports that two Mets minor leaguers were arrested for drag racing at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour early Friday morning. The two were 19-year-old outfielder Wuilmer Becerra and 20-year-old outfielder Vicente Lupo. Drag racing is a Class B misdemeanor offense.
Kingsport is home to the Mets’ rookie league team in the Appalachian League. In 35 plate appearances, Lupo was slashing .194/.286/.290 with a solo home run, his only extra-base hit and RBI. Becerra was slashing .250/.340/.375 with a home run and six runs batted in.
The Mets acquired Becerra in the R.A. Dickey trade along with Noah Syndergaard, Travis d’Arnaud, and John Buck. Lupo was signed as an international free agent in July 2010, ranking 25th on Baseball America’s list of international prospects that year.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)