Jul 6, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, citing a press release issued by the city of Kingsport, Tennessee, reports that two Mets minor leaguers were arrested for drag racing at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour early Friday morning. The two were 19-year-old outfielder Wuilmer Becerra and 20-year-old outfielder Vicente Lupo. Drag racing is a Class B misdemeanor offense.
Kingsport is home to the Mets’ rookie league team in the Appalachian League. In 35 plate appearances, Lupo was slashing .194/.286/.290 with a solo home run, his only extra-base hit and RBI. Becerra was slashing .250/.340/.375 with a home run and six runs batted in.
The Mets acquired Becerra in the R.A. Dickey trade along with Noah Syndergaard, Travis d’Arnaud, and John Buck. Lupo was signed as an international free agent in July 2010, ranking 25th on Baseball America’s list of international prospects that year.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)