Jul 6, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, citing a press release issued by the city of Kingsport, Tennessee, reports that two Mets minor leaguers were arrested for drag racing at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour early Friday morning. The two were 19-year-old outfielder Wuilmer Becerra and 20-year-old outfielder Vicente Lupo. Drag racing is a Class B misdemeanor offense.
Kingsport is home to the Mets’ rookie league team in the Appalachian League. In 35 plate appearances, Lupo was slashing .194/.286/.290 with a solo home run, his only extra-base hit and RBI. Becerra was slashing .250/.340/.375 with a home run and six runs batted in.
The Mets acquired Becerra in the R.A. Dickey trade along with Noah Syndergaard, Travis d’Arnaud, and John Buck. Lupo was signed as an international free agent in July 2010, ranking 25th on Baseball America’s list of international prospects that year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)