VIDEO: Albert Pujols hit a vintage Albert Pujols home run

Jul 6, 2014, 10:14 AM EDT

Albert Pujols entered play on Saturday evening with a disappointing .260/.313/.472 season slash line in 83 games, but watch him put a charge into this seventh-inning blast

A majestic go-ahead homer against an Astros reliever? Looks kind of familiar, doesn’t it?

The Angels went on to win the game 11-5 and are now 14 games above .500 with a grip on the top American League Wild Card spot. Pujols tied Mel Ott for 23rd on the all-time home run list with that two-run shot.

1. renaado - Jul 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Just saw a fan ran on the field… Still an awesome shot though.

2. hushbrother - Jul 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Still one of my favorite home runs of all time, the one off Lidge … seeing the Astros and their fans go from ecstasy to agony is priceless.

3. Bob - Jul 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Happened against the Astros bullpen, so it doesn’t count.

4. aphillieated - Jul 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM

at the 0:10 mark “Halos win it 6 to 5″ wtf

5. doctorrustbelt - Jul 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Steroids.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Moron. I wish Albert had the time to sue every person like you, just like he did Jack Clark.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, clearly he’s steroids. That’s why his production has followed the natural decline with age.

6. norvturnersneck - Jul 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM

8 away from 500

• blacksables - Jul 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM

He’s got 511.

7. chinahand11 - Jul 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Nice blast. Hard to top the one off Lidge, though. That one was in the category of “Hitting the Bomb, exhibit A: Pujols.”

8. gibbyfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I have to say though we could never have afforded to pay him what the Angels did –The Cards could sure use him now with those 19 dingers…… I hope he has a super year

• paperlions - Jul 6, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Eh.

Matt Adams: 73 games, 1.9 fWAR, 135 wRC+, $500,000

Pujols: 83 games, 1.5 f, 121 wRC+, $24,000,000

I’m good with Adams as the primary 1B.

• gibbyfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Yea I know –No question Adams has been great and signing Albert him would have been a disaster for us—but I do sometimes the big guy.—irrational as it might be.

• paperlions - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I understand. I like to see him do well. I hope he can keep things together for at least a few years so the whole contract isn’t a disaster. It would suck if there were stories every few months wondering if he should retire with 5 years left on the deal.

9. andreweac - Jul 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Not bad for a 45 year old. Wait, this wasn’t an old timers game? The Albertross has 7 ½ years left? Good times!

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Per the stats above and other things, his SLG is back near .500 and he’s got 57 RBIs. He may not be worth $25 million, but he’s still a productive player.

10. Walk - Jul 6, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Listen to the sound when he connects. Years ago i remember telling my friends that the ball sounded different when pujols hit it, i remember saying the same thing about a few others. and Barry bonds was the first i heard that sounded different when he connected. There have been a couple more over the years who mash the ball with that same crack, but they are few and far between.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win