Jul 6, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
As first reported by Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish, the Yankees have acquired right-handed starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy from the Diamondbacks. Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says pitcher Vidal Nuno is headed to Arizona in return.
McCarthy has posted an ugly 4.75 ERA (80 ERA+) in 244 2/3 innings since signing a two-year, $15.5 million contract with the Diamondbacks in December 2012. He was great in 2011 and 2012 with the A’s, but Oakland is the most pitcher-friendly environment in the majors and Arizona is just the opposite. Yankee Stadium isn’t too kind on pitchers either.
Nuno, a 26-year-old left-hander, owns a 4.78 ERA (84 ERA+) in 98 career major league innings (17 starts and five relief appearances). He will presumably join the Diamondbacks’ starting rotation this week.
This could be the beginning of a firesale in Arizona, where Tony La Russa is now in charge of baseball decisions and everybody but first baseman Paul Goldschmidt is thought to be available.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)