Jul 6, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
As first reported by Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish, the Yankees have acquired right-handed starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy from the Diamondbacks. Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says pitcher Vidal Nuno is headed to Arizona in return.
McCarthy has posted an ugly 4.75 ERA (80 ERA+) in 244 2/3 innings since signing a two-year, $15.5 million contract with the Diamondbacks in December 2012. He was great in 2011 and 2012 with the A’s, but Oakland is the most pitcher-friendly environment in the majors and Arizona is just the opposite. Yankee Stadium isn’t too kind on pitchers either.
Nuno, a 26-year-old left-hander, owns a 4.78 ERA (84 ERA+) in 98 career major league innings (17 starts and five relief appearances). He will presumably join the Diamondbacks’ starting rotation this week.
This could be the beginning of a firesale in Arizona, where Tony La Russa is now in charge of baseball decisions and everybody but first baseman Paul Goldschmidt is thought to be available.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)