Jul 6, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
As first reported by Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish, the Yankees have acquired right-handed starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy from the Diamondbacks. Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says pitcher Vidal Nuno is headed to Arizona in return.
McCarthy has posted an ugly 4.75 ERA (80 ERA+) in 244 2/3 innings since signing a two-year, $15.5 million contract with the Diamondbacks in December 2012. He was great in 2011 and 2012 with the A’s, but Oakland is the most pitcher-friendly environment in the majors and Arizona is just the opposite. Yankee Stadium isn’t too kind on pitchers either.
Nuno, a 26-year-old left-hander, owns a 4.78 ERA (84 ERA+) in 98 career major league innings (17 starts and five relief appearances). He will presumably join the Diamondbacks’ starting rotation this week.
This could be the beginning of a firesale in Arizona, where Tony La Russa is now in charge of baseball decisions and everybody but first baseman Paul Goldschmidt is thought to be available.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)