Jul 6, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
As first reported by Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish, the Yankees have acquired right-handed starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy from the Diamondbacks. Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says pitcher Vidal Nuno is headed to Arizona in return.
McCarthy has posted an ugly 4.75 ERA (80 ERA+) in 244 2/3 innings since signing a two-year, $15.5 million contract with the Diamondbacks in December 2012. He was great in 2011 and 2012 with the A’s, but Oakland is the most pitcher-friendly environment in the majors and Arizona is just the opposite. Yankee Stadium isn’t too kind on pitchers either.
Nuno, a 26-year-old left-hander, owns a 4.78 ERA (84 ERA+) in 98 career major league innings (17 starts and five relief appearances). He will presumably join the Diamondbacks’ starting rotation this week.
This could be the beginning of a firesale in Arizona, where Tony La Russa is now in charge of baseball decisions and everybody but first baseman Paul Goldschmidt is thought to be available.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 41
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 87
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)